xcode interface question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by osakamitsu, Jun 16, 2012.

1. osakamitsu macrumors newbie

Hope this is the right place for this question. I am new to Xcode and I am following some tutorials on learning c and objective c. The tutorial has their interface set to the "all in one view". I am using a slightly newer version of Xcode than the tutorial is. They said it is in the preferences section but I didn't see it. Maybe its right in from of me? Any help would be great!

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I would suggest against trying to learn Xcode, C, and Obj-C all at once.

Try learning C by itself via a basic text editor like gedit and terminal... This will help in the long run with knowing the difference between languages (C, Obj-C), APIs (Cocoa, Cocoa Touch,), and IDEs (Xcode).

Learn C the Hard Way is a good source for learning C, in my opinion. It's a free ebook:
    http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/

(You're trying to learn a language but a lack of familiarity with the IDE is getting in your way.)

3. osakamitsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I just checked out the book and I think i will give it a go. Any idea on the interface question though? That way once Im ready for that I won't have any issues.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. osakamitsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its a video tutorial for C and objective C from iDeveloper (http://ideveloper.tv/). They apparently teach most of C, or at least what they feel is important from C to learn Objective C. The tutorial is no longer available on their site. They have version 3.2.2 and I am using version 4.3.3.

Thanks. :)

6. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The all-in-one UI was a term that was used in Xcode 3.x. It no longer applies to Xcode 4.x, which has been out for 18 months or so.

You want to use lessons or a book that uses Xcode 4.

7. osakamitsu thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm alright that's what i was worried about. Thanks for the info. :)