Xcode iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by argoz1701, Nov 21, 2011.

1. argoz1701 macrumors newbie

So I installed Xcode on my snow leopard macbook a while back from the installation disk...but I noticed I dont have the iPhone part like other people on YouTube do, where I can emulate an iPhone or make programs for one...can some one tell me where to get that missing part or how to fix it and why I dont have it?

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That's impossible.
    The thing is, if you have installed it from there. you probably have an old version.
    That means, Xcode 3.x, and you preferrably need Xcode 4.x.
    Which can be downloaded on OSX Lion in the App store, and on Snow Leopard, on the http://developer.apple.com if you have a developer license.

3. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

That's quite possible. XCode on the Mac install discs never shipped with the iOS SDK. It has nothing to do with XCode 3.x vs XCode 4.x. You can still write iOS software (just not with iOS 5 features) software in XCode 3.2.6 on Snow Leopard.

This is right of course. And it's also the only way to get the iOS SDK. The OP's problem comes from the fact he installed XCode from the OS X DVD.

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

That's what I said.
    His problem is and I quote
    That it's missing, is impossible, because it allways had it (I started at 3.1 or something).
    So the issue will be that he is checking Xcode 4.x tutorials, and he still has the Xcode 3.x, since the Snow Leopard Install discs only shipped with 3.x
    So the problem remains like I said.
    And the only solutions are, like I proposed in above post.

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Uh ? You're still confused. He doesn't have the iPhone part not because he's checking XCode 4.x videos and using XCode 3.x videos, he doesn't have the iPhone part because he installed XCode 3.x from the Snow Leopard install disc.

That version doesn't ship with the iOS SDK.

Yes, your solution fixes the problem, it's your premise that is wrong. His problem is not XCode 3.x vs XCode 4.x, it's XCode installed from OS X installation media rather than XCode downloaded from the developer portal.

Anyway, not going to argue about this any further.

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Xcode 3.x came with iOS SDK on my Snow Leopard disc that I bought & came with my laptop. (yeah, I have several).
    That does provide the iOS SDK up to 4.x I think.
    So not really sure what the OP's Problem is, but I think my assumption is still right ;o
    Therefore the solutions posted should fit his situation.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

To be clear, the iOS SDK was an add-on you had to download from Apple's developer website up until Apple started including the SDK in the Xcode download from the Mac App Store.

I do not believe you can download the iOS SDK from Apple's site for free anymore... I believe your options are to either:

1.) Pay $100 to become a registered app developer and get permission to download the beta iOS SDK (if there is one even? IDK, I don't use beta software... It caused a lot of pain when I tried it a few years ago.)

2.) Pay $5 to download Xcode 4 + the current iOS SDK from the Mac App Store.

Edit: I wasn't aware Apple ever shipped a computer with the iOS SDK included on a disk... They certainly didn't do it for long if ever...

8. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

On number 2. I think that only is for OSX Lion, not Snow Leopard (just thinking out loud).

On your Edit: Might be on the bought DVD of Snow Leopard, because I am 100% sure I used to install Xcode from it. Or I'm losing it, and i'm still young..
    Ah well.. If he sticks to running Snow Leopard, his options are even more limited then with OSX Lion. Thank god for the freedom of :apple: *sarcasm*

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You've got it reversed. It's 5$ for Snow Leopard, free for Lion from the Mac App Store.

10. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I see. I thought they removed the 5$ function in the appstore once OSX Lion came out.
    Well, if the OP Posts back, i'll be glad to hear, because i actually get alot of those questions. :apple:

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just an FYI: You can get Xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 for Snow Leopard, for free, with a free Apple Developer account.