XCode is driving me insane!

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MythicFrost, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

This issue I'm having is making work VERY hard, I hope someone can help.

When I'm typing the code it will at some point (every 5-10 minutes) scramble itself, syntax colouring is messed up, parts of the words are missing, it automatically moves my cursor to somewhere else, I can't read things properly, and undo/redo screws up, etc.
    The easiest solution is to select another file in my project and then the one I was having trouble with, unfortunately, it can sometimes happen very often.

I've even had an error saying something about an index (from xcode) and asking if I wanted to continue or quit.
    In fact, I've actually found xcode is modifying some of my code elsewhere, just little bits.

So, when I compile, I find I have 9 new errors or something from code that I haven't modified since I last compiled... which is very unproductive, fixing errors that shouldn't exist.

Any thoughts?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Let's get the abundantly obvious questions you didn't answer out of the way first:

What version of Xcode, and on what version of OS X?

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's late, I forgot.

OSX 10.6.4, XCode 3.2.3 (prelease) -- I've also had this problem on earlier versions though, of both OSX and XCode.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

Next, what all have you tried to fix it?

• If you log in as a clean user on your system, is the issue still there?
    • Do you have random issues in other apps on the machine?
    • Does Xcode crash? If so, what do the crash reports tell you about where it crashed?
    • Do you have haxies installed?
    • Have you tried running a proper uninstall/reinstall of Xcode?
    • Is there anything at all you can think of that might be remotely relevant?

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for your reply,
    I have no haxies installed, I can't think of anything relevant, and I don't have random issues with apps on my system.

XCode has crashed, but frequency varies, it does come up with some strange error from time to time but I always click continue (instead of quit) because I don't want to lose my work.

I've not tried a re-install, or it on another account. I'll give the latter a try and then the former if nothing else works.