XCODE is now FREE!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iBryton, Jul 20, 2011.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Now with more FREE in this thread :Dhttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191415

4. admo macrumors member

Nope. Xcode 3 was free, and XCode 4 cost $5 or $10, can't remember. REgistered developers got Xcode 4 for free though.

5. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Good!

This is a good thing. The easier access for Mac Developers, the better for everyone. I paid $4.99 just a couple of weeks ago for it. :rolleyes: But, that amount is nothing to get into a fit over. :)

6. iBug2 macrumors 68040

XCode 4 only costed for SL because it was the default platform for Lion, not for SL, but Apple offers it for SL users for 5$. But in any case, as long as you are developing for the OS you are using, you get Xcode for free.

7. walterg74 macrumors newbie

Please stop spreading BS... Xcode 4 is the latest version of the IDE, it doesn't matter what you develop for, if it's OS X, iOS, etc. You DO NOT (or did not whatever) get it free for the "OS you are using". I wanted to develop for SL, and xcode 4 was still $4.99 a few days ago. The only thing free was the OLDER 3 version.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I think he meant in the developer center Xcode was free. There was a version on the app store that cost money. Until yesterday and it was made FREE. In fact the latest version on the Lion Developer center links to the App store version.

4.2 is needed to develop and test iOS5 beta, so there are different versions needed for iOS and Lion ;)