Xcode Java program

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by wizard wusa, Dec 19, 2007.

1. wizard wusa macrumors newbie

I'm just learning Java and finally got Xcode 3 installed. Now I'm wondering how do I get a Java application up and running with Xcode? I'm kinda really new to this so saying 5 instructions in 7 words might confuse me :D

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Here's three words: Don't use XCode

It's not designed for Java development. Instead, consider the use of a stripped down IDE such as Netbeans BlueJ edition

3. wizard wusa thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using eclipse but I'm now stuck again on where I was with Xcode. How do I do my simple Helloworld app? I have the code but now want to use it :eek:

I think im going to use netbeans since it seems easier.

4. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

5. ryan macrumors 6502

Questions just like yours have been asked and answered a number of times on this and other forums sites. The basic consensus is that if you want to learn Java, and not just a tool like Netbeans, Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc, you should start off by using a simple text editor like TextMate, TextWrangler, etc. and compiling/running your applications from the command line.

6. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I agree. It helps you understand how Java programs are compiled, and it really makes things simple when you're just learning. Once you start doing large projects, then you can use an IDE. I recommend Oracle's JDeveloper once you get to that point.