Xcode loads 3Gb of stuff to my phone

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by lamborghini392, Dec 11, 2015.

1. lamborghini392 macrumors member

A while ago I noticed the free storage on my 16Gb iPhone 6S was really low. Deleted most of my large apps and could still only get 7Gb of free storage space. So I downloaded a storage analysis app and found that I have 5 partitions on my storage. The main 11.8Gb one, a small ~150Mb partition, and 2 unnamed ones that each take up 3Gb of storage (assuming they're for iOS/iOS updates). Only the 11.8Gb partition is separated into 2 smaller partitions, one called "disk0s1s2" and the other called "dev" which takes up 3Gb of space (95% is used).

After maybe a week of messing around with it, I ended up deleting my xcode developer profile and when I rebooted my phone, I now had roughly 10Gb of free space, and the 3Gb "dev" partition was no longer there. Assuming this is xcode related and not some freak coincidence, is there a particular reason why xcode installs 3Gb of stuff to my phone? Btw, no they're not sideloaded apps since I only had maybe 12 of my really small apps on my phone.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

IDK, but in the most recent update for Unity, they decided to spin the iOS parts of the app into their own separate download. Unity went from being an 8 GB download to 2 GB - the seperate iOS component is 4 GB. No other platform specific component is over .5 GB. I wonder if Unity has those same 3 GB worth of files in the iOS component?

3. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Still can't believe Apple is selling a 16GB phone in the year 2015. Wow.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I only have 19 GB used. I could easily restrict myself to 16 GB. I feel silly for having wasted $200 to get a 128 GB.

5. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I'm hard pressed enough as it is with a 64GB phone :) I personally wish I had gone for 128GB.

NAND flash storage has gone down in price so dramatically in the last 3-4 years that it truly IS ridiculous that Apple is still selling 16GB models. It's almost unbelievable, really. The cost difference for Apple to make a 32GB phone instead of a 16GB phone is literally a matter of pennies, not even a dollar difference.

Yet they still include a 4K camera, which you'd fill up 16GB in a matter of minutes. lol. Pathetic really, especially since Samsung and others have moved most of their flagships to 32GB a while back.

Personally, I think it would have been far better had they simply included a mere 1080P camera with the base model and gave it 32GB of storage. That way, people still would have a reason to upgrade to the 64/128GB versions, and wouldn't be so ridiculous squeezed with 16GB. I cannot tell you how many people out there are getting so angry and frustrated with Apple because of their 16GB phones, since most people just buy the base model 6S/Plus. Apple can only anger so many people before it starts to hurt their bottom line.