Xcode: Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by skitzogreg, Sep 8, 2010.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Recently, I've been faced with the desire to learn (a little) more programming than I already know, and I'm attracted to the Xcode application and it's ability to simplify app/program creation. I'm still using my arguably old Macbook Pro (in signature) as my everyday/programming machine, and I wouldn't mind using this system with an external monitor to start to get into programming with Xcode, but I'm not opposed to switching to an older Mac Pro (dual-duals, or single quad) if it will net me significant performance gains using the application.

Overall, would a Mac Pro be a better option for a beginner-average programmer who has never messed with Cocoa/Xcode, or will my Macbook Pro just as good of an option?

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Stick with the MacBook Pro and add an external monitor.

The gains you'll get in a Mac Pro will only be really when compiling applications (and maybe debugging). And this shouldn't be particularly slow unless your applications are massive.

And well, you're a beginner and whatnot. No need to for a Mac Pro when you have a reasonable MBP. I've had friends in university who used MBP's like yours doing CompSci/SENG/CompEng and they were very proficient with no complaints of their systems (rather, their complaints were aimed at the work they had to do ;)).

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Going to agree with Vylen. The MBP is more than enough for learning programming. I went through a few CS courses on an older model than yours and it was great. I even used an Air for a bit while learning Cocoa and had no troubles. You'd need to be working on some very large programs to saturate that MBP while compiling. Have fun :)

4. cnstoll macrumors 6502

I got through with my CS degree using a G4 TiBook and lab computers :) Your MacBook Pro will serve you well. Do yourself a favor and use an external monitor as well. Programming with two screens is almost a must for me now.

5. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Sorry to bump the thread, but I just wanted to extend a thank you to those who answered the question. I'm now in the market to add a monitor.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I'm a CS major and a programmer. I recently bought a Hanns G 28" monitor to go along with my MBP and Mac Pro. It's a great monitor! If you're not looking for perfect (artistic level) color quality, I would sersiously consider this monitor. For the size, the price is excellent, and it's 16:10, not 16:9, so you have more vertical screen real estate, which is a blessing. It's great because you can easily pull up reference docs next to code, and you can lean way back in your chair without the type getting too small. I HIGHLY recommend it; I have had several hanns g monitors in the past have never had any problems.

Check it out:
    newegg.com