xcode missing files?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by LLSherLL, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LLSherLL macrumors newbie

Ok, I am starting out with this so forgive me if the answer is right in front of me. I bought myself a Dummy book to learn objective-C.
    I am at the beginning of chapter 2 in Objective-C for Dummies. When I start my first project pg36 figure 2-22 shows the list of files it should contain. When I do as the book instructs (start a new project, mac os x app, command line tool, save as First Program) I am missing "First Program.m" and "First Program_Prefix.pch" also I have no "Foundation.framework" I instead have "main.c"
    I reinstalled the Xcode program thinking perhaps I am missing something but nothing has changed and I am stuck. I had this problem before I bought the book when I was trying to follow an online tutorial.
    I sent this question to the support for the book and their response was not helpful (their answer "Please confirm you are following the instructions completely in the book."), any help is welcome, but please be kind!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You need to select the correct Command Line Tool project from the drop down menu when you create a new project. You want the Foundation Tool option.

That book is probably talking about quite an outdated version of Xcode so you'll probably have to do some hunting around yourself for the correct options.

3. LLSherLL thread starter macrumors newbie