Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Hi, I'm considering writing an application that is composed of three separate but related executables. There would be client, server, and render controller components. But all different project types. The client would probably be a Core Data Document application, the server would probably be a Core Data non-Document application, and the render controller would probably be a command-line (non-GUI) application which would probably not need Core Data.

So my question is how do I wrangle all these things together without getting really messy? I just don't have much experience using multiple build targets and so forth. Some of these components will be using the same Core Data entities (the client and server at least), so I'd like to only define and edit them in one place instead of trying to keep two or three separate projects with many overlapping elements (entities/objects and code) in sync. Can I do this in one project?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Should be fairly straightforward. Just create a new project, then create new targets for the rest. Xcode will try and put all your code in the same folder, and resources in another, so if you want to separate them out for each app you'll have to do a little more work. Although, you should be able to make new folders in the Finder, and add them in as references and Xcode will put the files into those folders appropriately.

Also it will be helpful to show the Target Membership column under Groups & Files. Just right-click the table column area and select that column.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.