xcode newbie

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Kapthehat, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Kapthehat macrumors member

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am trying to get to grips with xcode. I am going through the book "IOS Programming" in the Big Nerd Ranch series.

I am trying to locate the "connections panel". I have right clicked on the "File's owner" but nothing is happening. This is on page 14 of the book. Can anybody help ? thanks

regards

Kaps

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hi Kapthehat,

Excellent book to be reading by the way. :cool:

Under your view in the Interface Builder you will see a black rectangle box with three icons - the first one on the left is the one you need to right click on - once you have done that a black box will pop up and show you a list of your connections from your view to it's controller.

If that still doesn't work try this:

Highlight the view by clicking at the top of it (You should see a blue boarder around the whole view) - then in the utilities pane on your right, click the last icon at the top (Connections inspector) and this will show the connections (Your outlets)

Let us know if you're still having issues.

3. Kapthehat thread starter macrumors member

xcode

thanks for the reply. I must be missing something. I have attached a screenshot - can you use this to direct me. it doesnt help that this is my first mac - so more learning !!

Attached Files:

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Okay first things:

1. Close the debug console

This will give you more space to work with - you don't need the console in the interface builder.

If you close the debugger console at the bottom - you will see that black bar I was referring it

AT the top right of your screen where it says "view" click the middle of the three buttons - this will close the debugger window.
    Then on the left side - click "File owner" once (left click)
    this should show the connections on the right hand side of your screen now?

5. Kapthehat thread starter macrumors member

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Scroll downwards in the middle view - the black bar is being obscured by the console.

7. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

You're welcome.

Enjoy the book! :cool: