Xcode on M5 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stow, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Stow macrumors member

Can anyone give me and insight on how this handles compiling and if it is a good buy if I want to do ios dev work? Got this computer for a great price but it is really close to the price of a pro so I am a little torn about which one to get.

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I code on a 2015 MacBook with the 1.2GHz processor with Corona SDK and Xcode just fine.

3. Stow thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Yeah I am just getting into learning xcode so I cant really test it myself. Just didnt want to spend the money only to back myself into a corner in a couple of months. The price difference is minimal between this and a pro setup, just cant get myself to spend the money on the pro when its been out so long.

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Just understand that you'll likely need a USB-C to Lightning cable for those quick moments when you need to hook up your iOS device to send a compiled app over or download a log file from the device.

I love to code everywhere (bus, subway, mall) and I had the 2014 MacBook Pro Retina 13" but it started to get to heavy and bulky to bring everywhere, so I gave that to my daughter and picked up the 12" MacBook. Big difference in accessibility.

5. Stow thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I already ordered a usb c hub online. I just wanted to make sure the M5 would be good enough for a beginner developer. I didnt want to run into issues a few months down the road when I start doing things that were a little more complex.