xcode on mac mini

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by erfg12, Jun 11, 2012.

1. erfg12 macrumors newbie

I purchased a PPC laptop a few years back, when I wanted to compile on xcode, and immediately it said I needed a newer version.

So I purchased a mac mini core solo 1.5ghz. Now that mountain lion is almost out, will I no longer be able to make iphone apps and ipad apps because the mac mini cannot be updated to mountain lion in July? Can I still compile apps and publish them on an older version?

2. larswik macrumors 68000

I found that Apple likes to keep everything update together. So when the new OS comes out there might also be a new Xcode with SDK for the new IOS that all needs to be updated together for it all to work right.

So when I buy my new iPhone 5 in October or so when it comes out. I will by a Mac mini to sync it too and use that new machine only for programming. That way I won't have to worry about new OS's causing older software not to work any more.

But as far as I know you can write programs to work with older OS's I am pretty sure you can still go back to 4.3 but I am not 100% sure.

3. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Mountian Lion will leave your Mac Mini behind, no foolin'

Aaple does request that you test and release new app's that at least run on the then current iOS.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

Use Snow Leopard and Xcode 4.2. You require an active paid account to download 4.2, unless you already have bought it from the time it was available on the Mac app store.

5. erfg12, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012