Xcode Plugins

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Cromulent, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Does anyone know of any decent reference sites for writing an Xcode plugin at all? I've searched Google and only found one very short article of Apples dev site. I thought it might be quite fun to write a Mercurial plugin for Xcode 3 but finding any documentation is a bit of a pain.

I also assume it requires some knowledge of using Applescript Studio which seems to be a little different to writing just a simple Applescript, am I right in that assumption? I've never touched Applescript before.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

The Subversion and CVS plugins aren't Applescript plugins from what I can tell, they are full-blown CoreFoundation plugins.

However, it looks like you should still be able to get away with writing it in Applescript, and yes, it is closer to using Applescript studio.

For something like Mercurial, it looks like it might be a bit more complicated than it first looks like. For whatever reason, XCode splits up the CVS and SVN plugins into two plugins each.

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hmm I was using the Xcode plugin project template in Xcode 3.1 and that seems to be an Applescript Studio based template.

I have done quite a bit of searching this weekend but I can't find any specifics on adding extra functionality or even any source code examples (my preference would be examples written in C but I guess Objective-C wouldn't be too bad).

There does not even appear to be any API documentation on Apples website which is a bit odd considering they have a plugin template.

4. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've actually bug reported this. With no API for C or Objective-C it is effectively impossible to do anything interesting with Xcode plugin template.