Xcode substitute for textpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pranavss11, Oct 14, 2008.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Hello. I am learning programming in School. (Java) and I find it tedious to boot into windows everytime I have to program. I was wondering, is Xcode as efficient as Textpad for java?

Information is appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'd use Smultron under Mac OS X if I were you. Fast, efficient and light weight. Free too.

3. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Also check out TextWrangler, it is free and quite a powerful plain text processor with code highlighting. It's a good app for coding many languages with if you don't need a full IDE (I use it for editing some C, Python, and HTML). It gets the job done and is simple yet powerful, but it is a plain text processor, do not mistake it for an IDE of any kind.

Xcode works just "OK" for Java, although admittedly I have not been doing much Java dev for quite a few years. But, Xcode is definitely targeted to C-based development and specifically Objective-C and Cocoa. So it works but may not be the best choice, I would personally just stay away from Xcode for Java development. Apple's support for Java is pretty sketchy as well, and if anything is diminishing more and more each year.

You might look at something like Eclipse or NetBeans if you need a Java IDE. A lot of people also like IntelliJ IDEA, but it is not free.

5. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Huh? In what way do you mean?

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo