Xcode template for Android

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by fernandovalente, Mar 5, 2010.

1. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I don't know if this is the right place to post. Eclipse is really annoying, I HATE it. So I would like to be able to write apps for the Android on Xcode. Anyone has an Xcode template for Android? I heard QuickConnect already includes a Xcode template for Android. Is that true? If yes, I may try to modify it.

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

XCode templates are literally templates. You could make your own.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Creating_Xcode_project_templates

3. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Compiling requires defining a Build Rule.

In an existing Xcode project, double-click the target Foo. A Target "Foo" Info window opens. One of the tabs along the top is Rules; click it. You will add a rule to this list.

To find more, try searching Xcode's builtin docs about build rules and how to define them. Also try googling: xcode build rule

Launching the simulator requires defining an Xcode Executable in your template.

Defining executables is also covered in the Xcode docs.

5. fernandovalente thread starter macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Thanks a lot!

6. space1nvaders macrumors regular

I am like you. I do a lot of PHP development using Zend Studio which is just a special version of Eclipse for PHP developers. It has more features than any other PHP IDE but it is slow for me. XCode let me develop much faster but the PHP features are not there. So I just use both. I use Eclipse for heavy debugging and syntax checking along with code formatting. I use XCode for the fast editing, searching, and easy organization of project files. I also created a custom template in XCode with Smart Groups which is missing from Eclipse.

7. mrbash macrumors 6502

Netbeans would be your other option. You can define a ant target to execute your simulator.

I am doing my Android development using Netbeans.

8. space1nvaders macrumors regular

I tried Netbeans but it's too slow. What's up with the scrolling? I use the mouse wheel to scroll and it hesitates. Do you notice it being slow? I do my development on a Macbook Pro and these Java based IDE's never really perform that great. Even Zend Studio and Eclipse is Java. It's better than Netbeans but still way slower than XCode.

9. mrbash macrumors 6502

I haven't experienced that problem. I've found the Netbeans UI to be as responsive as any other IDE (Eclipse, VS, IntelliJ, XCode).

The above comment aside; While an IDE can be a personal choice, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use a platform dependent IDE to write Java code. It would be like using Visual Studio to write Java code on Windows.

10. space1nvaders macrumors regular

Zend Studio is for PHP development, but they use Eclipse which is really meant for Java development. Eclipse is being used for other languages too because of it's flexible plugins. Netbeans is like Eclipse and is being recommended for PHP development too. Looks like we are all going to have to get used to these Java based IDE's for languages other than Java because of their multi-platform support.

However, XCode is a really nice environment to work in. I think it's a good choice to use both XCode and the specialized Java IDE's for each of their strengths.