Xcode to Microsoft SQL

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by markfc, Jun 3, 2008.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Hi, Just throwing this out here but can one use xcode to retrieve data from microsoft sql 2000.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

XCode is an IDE. It's not a database access tool. Do you mean can you use XCode to write software that interacts with MS SQL?

3. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Yeah sorry, I meant can you write software with xcode that can interact with ms-sql.

Thanks

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Xcode is an IDE. The question as posed doesn't make any sense.

I think what you're asking is does Xcode provide the same hooks (headers, libraries, etc.) that, say Visual Studio does, when writing an application that reads/writes data to a MS SQL Server database. The answer depends in a very big way on what language/API you're using to do this. Raw SQL? Embedded SQL? PHP? Perl DBI? Java?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless MS-SQL is very special then yes, I see no reason why not. OSX provides an ODBC datasource system. You'll need an MS-SQL driver for it. I'm not sure there is one available, I'd suggest Google.

Or you could go the pure Java route which would work just as well...

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

If you were really stuck, you could check sourceforge and see if there's a freeTDS port for Mac.

** Edit ** - The FreeTDS project does support all BSD based OS's including Mac OS.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freetds/

A quick google check shows a couple of 3rd party vendors with ODBC drivers.

You could possible use Sybase's Mac OS Client to connect, not sure what that entails though. The db-lib client should still work, although you may have to settle with reduced functionality over the connection.