Xcode v3 vs. v4

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by aliwogg, Nov 17, 2011.

1. aliwogg macrumors newbie

My dad would like to buy my old Macbook off of me and use it to create iPad / iPhone apps. My Macbook is Intel Core Duo (not 2), so I cannot upgrade to Lion (unless someone knows how). I currently have Xcode v3 loaded since without Lion I cannot load v4.

Will this constrain my dad from creating apps for the newest iPhones / iPads? He's worried that for example, he may want to create something for the iPhone 4S and he will not be able to because of the older OS. If he would be constrained at all, could you please give me an idea of apps that you would need Xcode 4 / Lion for?

He was also wondering if the hard drive can be upgraded, if anyone has information on that.

Thanks!

2. lefooey macrumors member

Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard is available to iOS developers who are part of the paid program. Yes, you'll need Xcode 4+ to develop on iOS5.

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

4.2* only afaik for iOS5 ;)
    And I thought Apple stopped supporting minor Xcode 4.x submits to appstore, or i might be misinformed.

4. lefooey macrumors member

Yes, 4.2 for full support of iOS 5. That's true.

If you previously paid the $5 for Xcode 4 for Snow Leopard in the Mac App Store, then you can download 4.2 for Snow Leopard there. Check under your "purchased" list and you'll see it.

It's not available for Snow Leopard as a "new" purchase in the Mac App Store. You have to be in the developer program to download it.

5. aliwogg thread starter macrumors newbie