Xcode won't install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by to1986, Aug 31, 2011.

1. to1986 macrumors regular

Hi I have been trying to install the latest version of Xcode on my macbook that has lion installed. Xcode downloads fine from the mac appstore, but when I start up the installer, installation doesn't complete and I get an error asking me to contact the software manufacturer. Here is the error from the install.log file, maybe someone can decipher it for me?

PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7feedcbbdda0 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/Xcode/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”.} {
    NSFilePath = "./preinstall";
    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cDeveloperTools.pkg\U201d.";
    NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/Xcode/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg";
    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo";
    }
    Aug 31 01:19:01 Shamils-MacBook Installer[14052]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7fda1428d5a0 {NSFilePath=./preinstall, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/Xcode/Packages/DeveloperTools.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsLeo, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DeveloperTools.pkg”.}
    Aug 31 01:19:02 Shamils-MacBook Installer[14052]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

2. to1986 thread starter macrumors regular

Found the answer on another forum. For those that are interested all you have to do is install from a different user account, or temporarily setup another admin account.

3. Umyoguy macrumors newbie

I had this exact problem with xcode failing to install in Lion and the above post worked, but for a newbie, here's a more fleshed out solution:

1. Download the "Xcode Installer" from the App Store. It's the one that doesn't install for no good reason, no matter what you do.
    2. Go to System Preferences.
    3. Under the System category, Click "Users and Groups"
    4. If the lock at the bottom left is locked, click it and enter the administrator password. If you're not logged in as the administrator of your computer, do so.
    5. Click the little + (plus) sign.
    6. In the drop down menu at the top, select "Administrator". Choose a name and password, it's not important what they are so long as you remember the password.
    7. Once the second administrator is created, go to that user by selecting it in the drop down menu at the top right.
    8. Once you're logged in as the new user, search using Spotlight (command-space is the shortcut) for "xcode install".
    9. Run it. Where it used to fail it shouldn't this time.
    10. Once it's finished, log back in to your main adminstrator account. Xcode will be successfully installed.
    11. Delete the temp admin account if you want by going into that same system preferences/user accounts screen.

Hope this helps.

4. hanuman99 macrumors newbie

I tried the steps you suggested (creating a new admin user etc...) but Xcode still won't install on after upgrading to Lion. I've also made sure that iTunes Helper isn't running in the Activity Mgr - I read that there was a problem with that too.

thanks for any help

5. jebbayak macrumors newbie

any update

Hi. Am new to the forums and was wondering if you have had any luck/updates on the "solutions" posted above. I have tried them (new user, moving "install app" to the UTILITIES folder all to no avail. Was wondering if anyone has had any new success install XCODE 4.2.1 on 10.7.2? Thanks for any help.

6. freddobonanza macrumors newbie

@jebbayak I just had luck and installed from a new user 'Admin' account. Everything else failed me until I stumbled across this post.

:apple: must fix this problem!

7. xcode macrumors newbie

XCODE FAIL Install

I have tried every suggestion on installing Xcode 4.2.1

TRIED create ADMIN ACCT = FAIL
    TRIED Package Contents Install = FAIL

My system is MacbookAir running LION 10.7.2
    I have Xcode 3.2 Installed.

PLEASE, PLEASE can anyone HELP me with this?????

I am desperate.

8. seanymega macrumors newbie

I just fixed it with the following...

Hi I had a lot of troubles with this as well and actually I found out that it was because my account and root user account was not on the sudo list, whether you know this or not just try the following;

echo 'root ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers

and then;

echo 'username ALL=(ALL) ALL' >> /etc/sudoers

replacing username with you account username of course :)

Anyways, after you type these it'll look like nothing has happened. Try to install Xcode after and it should install fine. Let me know if you have more problems and I maybe able to help.