Xcode Work: Air or Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LastLine, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

So, I find myself in the position whereby I'm looking at a new Mac laptop for my iOS Coding work, but I can't seem to decide which model I want.

On one hand I value portability - the 13" Air screams this at me, the flash memory is awesome, but limited size wise. The unupgradeable RAM also scares me a touch, 4gb is just enough for me, but I'd rather have 8gb in there.

The Pro (13" Also) lacks the portability of the Air, but has a bigger hard drive and upgradeable RAM - both of which are excellent to have, but I can't decide whether this offsets the lack of portability.

I suppose I'm asking - WWMRD - What Would Macrumors Do? I need other people's opinions :D

On a seperate note - I notice we're only a few (4/5) months away from a potential refresh of each line based upon the Buyer's Guide. I'm intrigued what people think these might bring to the platforms other than the inevitable speed bump that will undoubtedly come.

I realise this all a bit fuzzy, just looking for other people's opinions, not hard facts. Ideally someone who does Xcode work would walk in and go 'I Use a Macbook Air/Pro and it rocks/sucks!" but hey, I'll take what I can get.

2. md0u80c9 macrumors newbie

IMHO, when using XCode, screen size is everything. You don't need a particularly fast machine, but you do need to see both your code and your emulator in full screen.

The only screen that can do that is the one on a 17" MBP - anything less and you will have to scroll the screen to see an iPad / retina display.

I use a 2009 17" MBP for my work which does the job perfectly well. If anything I would go for an older 17" MBP over a newer MBA or smaller MBP.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback :) I have a 21" i3 iMac at home where I do most of my coding, this is where my screen space will be living. The 13" is designed purely for portability (chucking in my bag on the bus to work so I can make use of my lunch break.) Thus size is the primary concern for me over resolution, though I do appreciate what you're saying. Sadly the 15 and 17" Pro's are a) too big for my use, and b) too expensive ;-)

4. md0u80c9 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Expense is an issue - I opted for a second hand MBP over a newer but smaller machine. You can get nearly new 17" MBPs quite cheaply as they tend to be used by graphics pros who need the latest and greatest - my 2009 MBP was less than the price of an Air and probably about as fast. I would love a larger screened Air to appear (or indeed a retina display for MBAs or MBPs would solve the problem.). Any newish MBP will have all the grunt you need.

At home I dual monitor the laptop by adding a 21" screen. This is perfect as emulator goes on laptop screen and Xcode window on monitor screen.

5. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

I just wanted to pop on and say I went with the base 13" Air model - performs beautifully for my needs. Just in case anyone else looks at a similar conundrum.