Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Do you have an ETA on this ?

Don't want to provide you with a date and then miss it. However if you email support we can put you on the list of people to contact. We have found a few side effects (not related to the file paths) that delayed the update longer than we would have wanted.

Edwin

Confusius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
New York
Don't want to provide you with a date and then miss it. However if you email support we can put you on the list of people to contact. We have found a few side effects (not related to the file paths) that delayed the update longer than we would have wanted.

Edwin

And now this: http://www.xcom.com/enemywithin/us/ Yay!

Are you working on bringing XCOM:EW to the Mac as well (and if so, could someone post an authoritative link on how I can make Feral get their fair share of my money when I buy the XCOM expansion on Steam)? Thank you

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
And now this: http://www.xcom.com/enemywithin/us/ Yay!

Are you working on bringing XCOM:EW to the Mac as well (and if so, could someone post an authoritative link on how I can make Feral get their fair share of my money when I buy the XCOM expansion on Steam)? Thank you

Yes the Mac version is coming.

To make sure the sale is registered as a Mac sale on Steam all you need to do you need to activate and play the game on the Mac. If you also play on the PC during the first month the revenue I believe will be shared.

Edwin

aquadat0r

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
If I buy the XCOM: Enemy Unknown PC DVD rom edition, will I automatically get the MAC version for free on steam? Currently the DVD PC version is $20 compared to $40 for the Digital Steam version.

So basically can I use the XCOM: Enemy Unknown PC DVD activation code in steam to "Activate a Product" and then download the mac version?

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Yes the Mac version is coming.

To make sure the sale is registered as a Mac sale on Steam all you need to do you need to activate and play the game on the Mac. If you also play on the PC during the first month the revenue I believe will be shared.

Edwin

Great news!
Will it be be released the same time?
Be sure to keep us updated when release approaches, because if the PC version is out and there is no news on the Mac version, I might then just be playing it in windows :)

I guess XCOM:EW is same style as EU and not some XCOM:Bureau style game?

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
If I buy the XCOM: Enemy Unknown PC DVD rom edition, will I automatically get the MAC version for free on steam? Currently the DVD PC version is $20 compared to $40 for the Digital Steam version.

So basically can I use the XCOM: Enemy Unknown PC DVD activation code in steam to "Activate a Product" and then download the mac version?

Yes you can.

X-Com is currently available with all DLC on Amazon for just 9.99 of your American Dollars. Activate the code on Steam and get OSX and Windows versions.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELJRO1E/

ncl

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008

Edwin
Ok, thank you.

I'm currently without internet connection at home (the horror!), and it should take several weeks before I get one. If by that point the issue is not fixed, I'll contact your support team :)

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
The answer if you are truly worried about games ceasing to work you should buy the DVD version, in the case of Feral games the DVD will not require online activation if you place the DVD in the drive. We deliberately offered this option for users worried about things like this or users without any internet on their Mac even for installation.

Edwin

If I buy the DVD version, does that support Steam so that I can also play it on Windows?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
If I buy the DVD version, does that support Steam so that I can also play it on Windows?

No, the DVD version is not Steam enabled if it was then it would require online activation etc. Also the DVD version was manufactured long before we made the Steam version.

You have 4 versions

Steam -> Can play with other Steam users Mac and PC online. LAN with all Mac and PC SKUs. Full support for all Steam features. Uses Steam online activation.

App Store -> Online gameplay is Mac (none Steam) only but LAN is Mac<->PC has achievements. Supports Game Centre. Uses Apple online activation.

Download Stores -> Online gameplay Mac (none Steam) only but LAN is Mac<->PC doesn't support online achievements. Uses Feral Online activation

DVD -> Online gameplay Mac (none Steam) only but LAN is Mac<->PC doesn't support online achievements. Uses Feral Online activation OR DVD in drive activation with no online required.

Edwin

Foop

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
I suspect it does not require a full reboot a force quit of the app should work just fine, other users with a freeze as you mention can quit out with a force quit. However I am sure our support team can tell you how.

The freeze is caused as far as we can tell so far by logic bug in the original code that causes the game to freeze during turns. It can been seen and has been reported on console and PC forums as well as the Mac. We are investigating and if/when we get a solution will will release a patch.

Edwin

Eddy, I haven't had a freeze since I updated to 10.8.5. Looks like the driver update solved the issue on the 680MX for me.

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
Downloaded from steam with 75% discount and played the first few missions today and have to say it worked flawlessly. Late 2013 iMac with all settings on high.

Really enjoying this so far. Great job by the devs :)

Last edited:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I have been experiencing overheating issues with this game on my 15" MacBook Retina. After short gaming sessions I hear popping sounds around the case when the fans wind down. I recently installed temperature gauge from the Mac App Store, and it warns me that my CPU and GPU are reaching temperatures above 90% during gameplay. Is this common for a MacBook retina?

Last edited:

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
I have been experiencing overheating issues with this game on my 15" MacBook Retina. After short gaming sessions I hear popping sounds around the case when the fans wind down. I recently installed temperature gauge from the Mac App Store, and it warns me that my CPU and GPU are reaching temperatures above 90% during gameplay. Is this common for a MacBook retina?

I have been playing on my mini and it kicks up fans at 1080p on med -high settings only during some portions of the game.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Above 90% do you mean 90 degrees? Games are designed to push the machine to it's limits and use every bit of performance it can so XCOM will max out your GPU and CPU as much as the OS allows to give the best performance.

We have tested on rMBP machines and they usually have fans on max speed when playing games and this is not unusual.

Here is a quote from Intel on CPU's this is based on the i7 CPU which is very similar to many rMBP 15" machines will have installed.

The temperature value handled is the TCase value; this is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent major damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

The Tcase value for the Intel® Core™ i7 processor I7- 2700K is 72.6°C. Please confirm this at the following web site: http://ark.intel.com/products/61275/Intel-Core-i7-2700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Simply put if the computer gets too hot and is likely to damage itself it will shut down automatically (we have never had a Mac do this while playing games in our test labs in 10 years of testing!).

However when playing games I would recommend you make sure your laptop is placed in such a way to help ventilation (the air is sucked in the lower sides of the laptop and ejected out the back under the monitor so keep these areas as free as you can and if possible place it on a laptop stand to allow cooling under the chassis. Placing it on a seat or pillow for example will make it run hotter and should be avoided.

Hope that helps.

Edwin

----------

Thank you, I'm looking forward to an update :)

I'm aware that my system is not supported, but then I saw other users reporting the same, and they all had one common non-standard setup, a non-default steam library location.
I realize that a minority installs steam games on a secondary HD, but when I got my SSD they were so expensive and a 90GB was all I could afford, and it's full with my OS and my work related apps.

Keep up the good work, mac gaming would not be the same without feral :)

Just FYI an update to fix this was pushed live last week. This means you no longer need to use any workarounds. Valve also fixed Counter Strike GO which had the same issue :)

Cheers,

Edwin

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Just FYI an update to fix this was pushed live last week. This means you no longer need to use any workarounds. Valve also fixed Counter Strike GO which had the same issue :)

Cheers,

Edwin

Thanks.

I did play some xcom today, and it ran fine at maxed settings.

However there are some very minor annoyances.
When playing the game seems to lock at 45 FPS with v sync on or off.
However FPS goes up to 60 in the short scenes like kill shots etc.
CPU stays from 80-120% (of a max of 400%)
and GPU is never more than around 40% utilized, with around 30% of the VRAM used (around 600MB of 2GB). (Using openGL Profiler and OpenGL Driver monitor).

Using a 3rd party hardware monitor shows that GPU stays at 783 MHz (lowest 3D clock) when in play mode and goes to 1.09Ghz in cut scenes (the not pre rendered ones).

Not a big issue, playing turn based in 45FPS is totally fine, but using more GPU power to reach 60FPS would be better :)

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
GTX780 issue

Just a heads up, I tried to launch XCom today on my iMac to get an error stating that it is not supported.

After a little digging around I rang Feral support (very helpful) to have it confirmed its an issue with the latest iMac's with a 780 card. Basically, it doesn't like that its got 4GB video memory and so flags it as unsupported.

They have a fix working in beta and are waiting to push this live. No mention on any support sites I could find though,which would have saved a call to them. No specific eta on the patch coming out (or if a delay if it also is a Steam install).

I was thinking about getting one of the total war titles, but will hold on as I'm not clear if this effects just XCom or all Feral releases.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Just a heads up, I tried to launch XCom today on my iMac to get an error stating that it is not supported.

After a little digging around I rang Feral support (very helpful) to have it confirmed its an issue with the latest iMac's with a 780 card. Basically, it doesn't like that its got 4GB video memory and so flags it as unsupported.

They have a fix working in beta and are waiting to push this live. No mention on any support sites I could find though,which would have saved a call to them. No specific eta on the patch coming out (or if a delay if it also is a Steam install).

I was thinking about getting one of the total war titles, but will hold on as I'm not clear if this effects just XCom or all Feral releases.

I have several games that gives me a warning that my machine is not supported, they still run fine.
The best one is the Borderlands 2 error :)

Anyways, I see Steam has removed the mac XCOM expansion?
Is it in route?
I would love to buy it on Mac OSX and play it there so we can keep eddde in business :D

Attachments

• borderlands500mhz.jpg
    borderlands500mhz.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 151

Laucian Nailor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
UK
I have several games that gives me a warning that my machine is not supported, they still run fine.

Interested in how you get them to run. This error is displayed when either hitting play in the steam app or trying to run xcom direct from finder. It simply prevents the game from starting up at all.
Edit: just seen your image and it looks as if your error is simply a 'recommendation'. The error I'm getting simply states the iMac model is unsupported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.