Xeon L5335 or 5150 G0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vizion, Oct 5, 2012.

1. vizion macrumors newbie

Which option is more fun ?

Xeon L5335 2.0 GHz quad-core 50w TDP
    or
    Xeon 5150 G0 2.66 GHz dual-core 65w TDP but 8w at idle

I think my current 2GHz 5130 is enough but I'd like to try something else.

Apps:
    Safari browsing, flash animation (could be off-loaded to a Cuda card though)
    Handbrake
    iSkySoft Media Converter
    Toast 11 (cuda optimized too)
    web games for kids
    Final Cut Pro X off-loaded to OpenCL

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Low Voltage Processors.

I ran across this post while doing research about the L5335 and wanted to add some feedback for others looking.

I wanted to try the L5335's because of it's low power draw. The original two core 2.0Ghz 5130 is rated at 65 Watts TDP, while the L5335 is 4 cores at 2.0Ghz and rated at 50 Watts.

Which means you get twice the cores, and at lower power draw (less strain on heatsinks and power supply). However because they are still 2.0Ghz, you do not gain any single threaded performance.

I have a 1,1 that had the original 2x dual 2.0Ghz. I did the 2,1 firmware upgrade and the L5335's correctly show up as 2.0Ghz Quad Core Intel's.

Performance wise they did show a noticeable improvement in tasks that were multithreaded. Handbrake encoding, based on the parameters I use, went from about 25FPS on the 4 cores to about 45FPS on the 8 cores.

When running a task, the CPU's internal temperature readings are only in the lower 40's to low 50's celcius. The heatsink temperature probes in the Mac Pro only read upper 20's celcius.

While transferring files to a ZFS RAID array, the CPU's have to calculate checksums and parity information for all data. This runs each core at about 25-30% constantly. After doing this for 10 hours, each CPU was only showing about 40-42*C.

I bought them for $40 total as a pair off of Ebay, though they can be found individually for as low as $15 each shipped. Look for the SLAEN steppings.

Installation was not too bad, took me about an 1 - 1.5 hours. The vast majority of the work is messing with all the covers and fan shrouds in the Mac Pro. Actual heatsink removal and CPU removal and reinstallation took all of 5 minutes. Probably spent more time using a razorblade to "perfect" my thermal paste application.

For a file server I do not require high computational abilities. Being able to have 8 cores at virtually no increased system load seemed like a no brainer. Keep in mind the L5335 is the highest clocked low voltage model available for the 1,1 & 2,1. For the 3,1 there is the Harpertown L5430 which is 4x2.66Ghz at the same 50 Watts TDP. But they will not work in a 1,1 / 2,1.