Xeon Roadmap?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mattww, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

As a Power Mac G5 owner I'd obviously love one of the new Harpertown Mac Pro models but I tend to try and get more than 3 years out of my Macs and my G5 is only just out of AppleCare so I was hoping to keep it a little longer unless an Intel only application arrives that I must run.

Whenever I see articles about possible future Xeon chips I tend to have a look. Intel platforms are still pretty new to me but the thing that is confusing me is that from what I can see the Xeon has generally led the desktop models with faster bus speeds and newer technologies being introduced on workstations first then getting filtered down to regular desktop PCs.

This conflicts with the stuff I have found on Nehalem which says late 2008 for a desktop variant and late 2009 for the Nehalem-EX workstation chip? Is it likely that Intel would introduce their latest technologies in the general desktop product rather than the Workstation next time?

If so I assume another set of HarperTown chips would be used in an interim update?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Nehalem-EX is a multi processor platform, not to be confused with the dual processor platform that Apple use in Mac Pros and Xserves.

3. Mattww thread starter macrumors 6502

Mattww

That explains my confusion. It is likely then that the dual processor platform product will be released before the desktop part?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Given the recent history of Intel CPU releases that seems like the most likely outcome.