Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I hate the fact that the Mac Pro is always waiting for Intel's Xeons. I wish there was a alternative way to get the same performance and reliability. Personally I'd sacrifice the ECC ram, server based boards if I could get a 6 core sandy, lots of ram and everything else equal.

The 6-core Sandy's aren't out yet either so so far there has been zero extra waiting on a Xeon version. And from what it looks like, if there is a wait, I'd wait and give them time to fix the VT-d and maybe get C2 stepping going on the Xeons. Not sure if Intel cares for the consumer SB-E's.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Weren't the 2010 Imacs out many months before the 2010 MP's? I recall being frustrated then about the same thing.

A couple of months, but they were only very minor speed bumps compared to the move to 6-core processors. That was also on Apple in the sense that they waited 6 months after the Xeons were launched.

xgman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
It kinda sounds like the 6 core would be mid year instead of early 12. I think I prefer the 6 core top one to the 4 core or slower clocked pair of 4's. Maybe they will get all this straightened out sooner if we are lucky, but I agree better to have the bugs gone than to get it early.

Seem that even Jobs was frustrated on how slow Intel is in general:

"But Jobs implies in the biography that Intel wasn't keeping up with the times. He explains why Apple didn't select Intel chips for the iPhone.
"There were two reasons we didn't go with them. One was that they [the company] are just really slow. They're like a steamship, not very flexible."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.