Xerox Phaser 3160 - 1 print, then shows as "printer offline", garbled prints

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cb911, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Hi All,

It's getting a bit late here for me, stressed to the max at the moment as I've got about 10,000 leaflets I need to overprint some address details within the next few days or so.

Just bought a new Xerox Phaser 3160 to replace my old Canon iP4000 that finally died after I tried to clean the print head. :eek: (Well 60-80,000 sheets through it is pretty good I reckon.)

Here's what's happening with the 3160 - I tried some prints using the generic PCL driver and it was just jumbling the text, like repeating the same first few characters all the way down the page. Seems to me like a postscript error or something like that? So I installed the OS X driver freshly downloaded from Xerox. It does just the same thing. It will print a few sheets okay, then it's just garbled. Also if I send one sheet as a proof it will print it, then the printer shows as offline, I've either gotta un-plug and re-plug the USB cable or power cycle the printer.

So just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I've re-installed the Xerox driver, repaired permissions and I dunno what else to try? Computer is a 3.2Ghz Core i3 iMac. I have a Windows 7 PC here that I can try the printer on, but this is just infuriating.

Cheers for any advice.

2. hedge23 macrumors newbie

same problem

Hello cb911,

I was wondering if you were able to sort this out. I have a similar problem. Have reloaded drivers multiple times, tried two different macs, used through airport and directly and i am still getting the random printouts...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

Don't worry - the printer is fIne. Turns out that The OS X driver has a known issue, not sure if a new driver has been released since then, but I just ended up selling that printer & going back to inkjet anyway.

If its a new printer & OS X drivers aren't fixed by now, I would suggest returning it because that's very slack on Xerox part.