Xerox printers and Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iJemz, Dec 9, 2013.

1. iJemz macrumors newbie

Hello

I'm thinking of buying a Xerox printer for the office. Apparently they work well with Adobe postscript.

However, the salespeople say they need to add-on postscript for Mac.
    Does anyone have any advice on Mac and Xerox compatibility?

On the apple site they recommend HP printers, one of which we already have, and quite frankly I want to destroy it with an axe half the time. So it's all a bit confusing....

2. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

I have used a Xerox Phaser printer for many years. First, a B&W output model and then a full colour model.

I bought them specifically because they had integral full/native postscript capability rather than postscript emulation that is typically the hallmark of HP printers.

Also, other than replacement toners, you don't have to be concerned with replacing other parts as with some other manufacturers' offerings.

However, be warned that if you opt for a Xerox model that relies on colour ink sticks rather than traditional colour toner cartridges they will require much more maintenance on your part.

Other than that, I would buy another Xerox printer without a moment's hesitation.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    same here.
    FX printers are the best, and totally compatible with Macs.

I currently have 2x Fuji-Xerox CP205w's after making the switch from HP some years ago and haven't looked back.

Post Script plug-in is less than 1mb and the printers run flawlessly on both Snow Leopard (2008 MBPro) and Mavericks (2x MBAirs)

toner life is excellent - only use genuine though - overall very efficient printers in both office and domestic usage

4. brentsg macrumors 68030

I use a Xerox ColorQube in my home office and it's been great. I haven't had any issues with compatibility, etc. No issues with either OSX or Windows.

5. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Xerox is better than HP in every measurable way. You will not regret it.

6. iJemz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all.

This has given me a lot of confidence.

I'm looking at getting a 6605VDNM Workstation.
    According to the sales dude it already has the postscript installed. Fingers crossed.

We are going to get a technical assitance package with them. For a fairly low monthly price they make sure it stays humming and replace the toners. Sounds pretty good on the surface but I'll wait and see how it works in reality.

Can't be worse than the battles I've had with my HP2840 over the last 5 years.

7. Jlstewart103 macrumors newbie

As far as the need to add the postscript, it depends on which model you are looking at. If you are simply looking for a printer, almost all of them come with the postscript kit as standard.
    The models that require the postscript to be added are the WorkCentre 7220/7225 and the WorkCentre 5325/5330/5335. These are the larger office machine so it just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you have any questions on a particular model, please don't hesitate to ask. I work for a Xerox Agency :)

----------

Sorry didn't see that you had mentioned the 6605 already. It is a great little unit that I have installed with a few of my customers here in Colorado Springs. They all have been very happy with the machine.