Xfinity Options on AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BrianJ844, Aug 3, 2019.

1. BrianJ844 macrumors member

I was looking into getting an AppleTV and I assumed there would be a Stream Xfinity app for the AppleTV but there isn't (is there?). Is it possible to AirPlay the Xfinity app from a iPhone to the AppleTV? Can you AirPlay while streaming Xfinity from a MacBook Pro? While streaming Xfinity isn't the main reason for the AppleTV, I am just trying to get the streaming device that makes the most sense. Last question, is there any issue logging into say the Watch ESPN app on the AppleTV using my Xfinity subscription.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I haven't tried to AirPlay any Comcast app content to the ATV in a few years, but IIRC, Comcast blocked AirPlay on the iOS app, but you could AirPlay it from a browser on a Mac (an most likely a PC too).

I am not sure if this is still the case.

3. 2010mini macrumors 601

You might want to look into this
    https://getchannels.com/
    I am currently using xfinity login to watch channels. The only drawback of this are:
    No Viacom channels (Viacom wants Xfinity to pay for each customer to authenticate tv everywhere)
    No premium channels (just authenticate their individual apps)

4. Longkeg, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019

Longkeg macrumors 6502

Roku, which is now owned by Comcast, is the only platform that supports the Xfinity stream app for display on a big screen TV. They have been pretending for over a year that an ATV version is just over the horizon but most people aren’t holding their breath. To save myself from renting another Comcast box I bought a $35 Roku and installed the Xfinity stream app... it works pretty well. As for airplay, no, that’s been disabled in the iOS versions of the stream app. Even a direct HDMI connection from an iOS device won’t work. I believe the last time I tried to AirPlay from a Mac was unsuccessful as well.

5. Philg5150 macrumors newbie

Philg5150

Does the Xfinity app on roku support OnDemand?

6. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Huh? I don't think so

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Comcast most definitely doesn't own Roku.

Regarding Apple TV support, it seems possible that the Xfinity app will come to the Apple TV in the future, pending negotiations:

https://www.lightreading.com/video/...he-apple-tv-/a/d-id/749217?mod=article_inline

Xfinity is supported by Apple's TV provider single sign-on system, so using apps included in a subscription should be very easy. But of course you can't access Xfinity on demand and other Xfinity-specific features without their app.

8. Longkeg macrumors 6502

Well that was the rumor floating around one of the Comcast forums. I guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Who'd of thunk it!

As i was doing the research I should have done before posting I did find this tidbit: The Roku version of the Xfinity Stream app is officially in Beta and has been for quite some time. It's currently free. It's being speculated that when it comes out of Beta testing Comcast will charge for it.

And yes, the Roku version I have supports On Demand and even lets you schedule recordings, which the iOS versions don't.

9. HDFan macrumors 65816

Rather than having just one Comcast app for all services, you have to use your Xfinity authentication for each individual service app. But some services are not supported for streaming via Xifinity and if you want them you have to purchase them separately.

Typical Comcast mess.