iPad Xfinity Player App Update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by caribsa, Jun 18, 2013.

1. caribsa macrumors regular

I see an update for this app. Has anyone updated? If yes, did the app still work after update with XCON install?

2. caribsa thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I updated and it's still working on an iPad 4 with XCON 38 installed for those who wants to update.

3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Thanks for sharing the results.

FYI in the future, I believe you can just connect your device to your computer and use iTunes to "transfer purchases". This will put a copy of the currently installed xfinity app IPA file onto your computer. This file allows you to install that version whenever you want. If xCon does not work with the new update, just delete the app from your device and use this IPA file to install the version which was working with xCon.

This way you won't ever have to worry about installing a bad update. I transfer purchases all the time and keep old copies of apps to have this safety net.

Installing IPA files is really easy. You can use the app called IPA Installer from the BigBoss repo in Cydia, iFunBox (this is what I use), or iTunes (I think...been a while since I've used iTunes for anything other than transfer purchases haha). There are probably a bunch of other ways to install IPA files too. Bottom line is, its super easy to create this fallback option and also allows you to never have to ask around if some new version of an app works.

There are some caveats but for the most part this should work. You can run into issues if an app is pulled from the App Store. Sometimes the IPA file won't install correctly. But of course if you're only concerned about apps which rely on xCon, then I don't see those types of apps getting pulled anytime soon haha. Hope this helps.

4. caribsa, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

caribsa thread starter macrumors regular

@BumpyFlatline - Thanks for the info. This is my very 1st Apple product which was given to me for Christmas by my Mom. I Jailbroke it the 2nd day it was available when we were on IOS 6.1.1. I even unjailbroke and updated to IOS 6.1.2 after reading here it was safe to update before IOS 6.1.3 was released.

Anyway, good information and I do have iFunBox but mostly I SSH into my iPad using FileZilla since that's what I use for my SonyReaderBoards Website which I'm the administrator. I'm just really familiar with FileZilla. But I never tried to install an ipa file so will definitely use iFunBox if I ever need to restore an app. So I will make copies of my purchases on my computer.

**I could not find in iTunes where the "transfer purchases." Could you point me where to look. Thanks

5. BumpyFlatline, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Awesome! You are very welcome. I hope you're enjoying your jailbroken apple device as much as we do here at MR.

To transfer purchases, connect your device and click on File. In the drop down list, go to Devices. Transfer Purchases is in there. Since you've never done it, the first time will take a good while to complete assuming you have a ton of apps installed. But after the initial transfer, if you do it periodically and stay up to date so to speak, it will be much quicker to compete the transfer. Unfortunately you cannot pick and choose which IPA files to save. It's all or nothing, that's why I try to do it at least once a month.

As an aside, do you use iCloud to backup your device? Since that's what I use, I NEVER use iTunes for anything other than to transfer purchases and DFU restore my device when a new jailbreak gets released. Because of this, I have iTunes setup to NEVER automatically sync my device. I do this because I never use sync and once a month when I transfer purchases, I hate waiting forever for the automatic sync to complete. If you are a similar style user I recommend disabling auto sync by going to Edit>Preferences>Devices. In there check off the box that says "Prevent device from syncing automatically". Makes the times when you want to transfer purchases less time consuming.

Anyways, I hope this helps!

6. caribsa thread starter macrumors regular

@BumpyFlatline - Thanks again. Great directions; I was able to transfer my purchases to my computer. I even turned off the auto sync since I don't use iTune and do backup using iCloud.

7. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

I didn't know this. Thanks for the information, this is why I like reading these forums, always learning something new.

:)

8. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Haha awesome! I'm glad you found it helpful. :D