Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Xfinity has just announced their WiFi 6 modem, available on all plans >300 Mbps.

I just called them and was quite surprised with actually good support.

1. They will be sending me the new modem immediately.

2. My Xfinity bill will actually be dropping over $40 a month as

a. The price of unlimited data dropped from $50 a month to $10. [I am consistently in the 1-2 TB range]

b. With the new modem XFi advanced security, which was $6 a month, is now free. This substantially offsets the rental cost of the modem.

My current Xfinity 1 Gbps router out performs the TP-link router I have, and is usually in the same range as an Asus Wifi 6 router (in the ~525 Mbps range 30 feet away upstairs). Sometimes the Asus does blow it away, with ~640 Mbps, but not consistently.

Higher speeds at a lower price was a deal I just couldn't turn down. I'm on a quad plan (TV, Internet, Home Security, Phone) so pricing may be different with other plans. It's nice to say something positive about Comcast for a change.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The price of unlimited data dropped from $50 a month to $10. [I am consistently in the 1-2 TB range]
This is a huge deal.

Hopefully this change will impact everyone with a data cap with Comcast.

There isn’t a data cap where I live, and I bet the fact that I have multiple options of ISP influences Comcast’s lack of data cap in my area.

I wonder if Comcast dropping the price of unlimited was influenced by the expansion of 5G fixed wireless access?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I just called them and was quite surprised with actually good support.
I switch my ISP at least once a year. I do this to always get the new customer rate.

I haven’t paid more that $39.99 a month for my internet in many years.

Since I switch so often, I deal with the ISPs’ customer service and retention departments way more that what is probably typical.

I have noticed that Comcast’s customer service, wait times, and overall experience has dramatically improved over the last few years.

Still far from great, but much better than they used to be.

I suspect that their oligopoly is weakening, and they are trying to mitigate the potential loss of subscribers.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I see what they are doing now. They were charging $13.00 for modem rental and $6.00 for Advanced Security, for a total of $19.

Now they charge $15.00 for "xFi Advantage" which includes:

• the latest internet equipment technology with our xFi Advanced Gateway;
  • Added protection for WiFi-enabled devices with xFi Advanced Security; and
  • Whole-home WiFi coverage assurance with a Home WiFi Assessment.
So your are paying for a service, not for modem rental. Clever marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.