Xfinity Wireless extended with Airports

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robd54, Dec 14, 2015.

1. robd54 macrumors member

I hope this is the right place, but I have a question about my home network. I have background in IT and networking but for the life of me can't figure this one out. Now before people tell me to turn my xfinity modem's wireless off and into bridge mode to use the airport extreme as the router, I have tried this and had similar problems as well as I like being able to see all clients on the network, wired and wireless which I can with xfinity.

So my setup is xfinity router, hard wired to airport extreme and an airport express. In airport utility I create a wireless network on both airports with the same SSID, security and password. Everything connects and seems to be good. However, I notice quite frequently that wireless won't see wired and vice versa. My wifi printer doesn't get found, my sonos speakers won't show, and some of the machines don't see each other. When I shut off the airport, EVERYTHING works fantastic, except for the range. Is there something I'm missing here? I REALLY appreciate any help you can provide.

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Why wouldn't you just use the Express to extend the Extreme's network rather than creating a separate network with the same name? That's how I have it set up and I can see everything.

3. robd54 thread starter macrumors member

I could try that with the express and the extreme, good point. But may not solve the issue between wired and wireless (when on the AE access point)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

These issues are generally attributed to using the Xfinity router as the DHCP router on the network. By setting the Xfinity router to bridge mode and placing the AirPort Extreme in DHCP & NAT mode, the AirPort would effectively take over as the main router on the network. All clients (both wireless and wired) would need to be "behind" the AirPort for that to work properly.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

I'd recommend starting with replacing the Xfinity router with one that you own. If you don't have phone service, you can get a plain modem for about $80. It pays for itself in 8 months compared to the $10/month rental fee. Modems that support phone service cost more but will pay for themselves inside of 2 years. You don't need to buy another router, because either of the Airports you have will take over that functionality.
    The advantage is that you then have full control over the device and you aren't paying $10/month for a device that isn't worth nearly that much.
    Something to watch for with your existing modem is that it's probably broadcasting an Xfinitywifi network. Either turn that off or make sure that your Airports aren't trying to broadcast on the same channel.
    The recommendations to have one Airport extend the network from the other are heading in the right direction. Having multiple, separate networks with the same name will not work the way you want it to, and cause you not to see things connected to the other base station.