XFX R9 280x flashable for boot screen support?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sanderss, Apr 7, 2014.

1. sanderss, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

sanderss macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just went through a *lot* of posts on this and netkas' forum but for some reason, I just cant get any definitive answers.

I have 2 questions:
    1)
    Is the XFX R9 280X EFI flashable for bootscreen support (on both MDPs)? And is so, witch is the latest / best method to do so?

2)
    I see 2 versions: the "Double Dissipation" and the "Black Edition". Main diffs are 850MHz vs 1,08GHz clock and 250W vs 300W
    Do both work in a standard MacPro5.1? (I believe 1 do need 1 6-->8 pin cable)

Thanks

Sander

2. rthomp macrumors newbie

You and I have the same question. I bought a XFX r9 280x for a temporary mac pro configuration and as in an investment for my future x99 custom pc.

3. chrisrand macrumors member

Hi, do you have any updates on your XFX r9 280x experiment? Did you flash it or mod it to 5.0g/s?

4. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

I have been looking at the R9 280X and loved the look of the XFX card however i found this video Lance from McVie audio who purchased a XFX and had nothing but troubles and he did some research and the XFX for some reason is a bit glitchy...

So i went with the Gigabyte Windforce dual R9 280X (flashed), just waiting for cards to arrive.

They have got good reports so will do a write up after its all done.

5. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Flashing R9 280X for boot screens/PCI System Information

Bunch of useful information with various cards in that thread. I suspect either card version will work, although if one is rated 300W you may want to be sure you buy it from a place with a good return policy in case your work process taxes the card to the point to where it draws too much from the power supply.