Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gino971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Guadeloupe
Hi everybody,

I'm feeling so mentally tired that i can't use a XFX R9 280X in a MacPro 3.1 with Yosemite.

After all tries, i'm running Windows 8 on the MacPro (and it still seeing the card as a Radeon HD 7900 Series).

I'm desperate. Please, help me to get it working on Yosemite.

The MacPro can see the card as a "monitor" but don't know what it is. It will boot on a second card (or a MSI GT 610 without boot screen or on the stock XT 2600) but no way to use the XFX.

Please, help me with that.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you do some searches, the XFX R9 280x cards have become problematic in OS X.

This is especially true of cards with a single DP instead of having 2 of them, but even dual MDP cards can have issues.

Gino971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Guadeloupe
If you do some searches, the XFX R9 280x cards have become problematic in OS X.

This is especially true of cards with a single DP instead of having 2 of them, but even dual MDP cards can have issues.

I have read so many things about this card : i got it since early december and can't have it functioning up to now. Some will work, some won't. I don't want to try anything with it (like any flash) to mess it up.

I'm so desperate that i was thinking of they a MSI's Bios on it to see if it will work.

How to know which card will work in Mac OS X ? By the way, my own has two MDP.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
its understandable for the mac to see it as a 7900 series card though because the 280x is a 7970ghz they are the same card from my understanding. its just the 280x is a better binned version.

Gino971

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Guadeloupe
its understandable for the mac to see it as a 7900 series card though because the 280x is a 7970ghz they are the same card from my understanding. its just the 280x is a better binned version.

It is detected as a 7900 series on Windows 8.1. Yosemite won't start at all with this card for the time.

I'm looking for a way to make it work with that latest Mac OS X. Any suggestion ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.