Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey guys!

Firstly, I love the new release of XGPS.

This morning I was trying to download maps so I could travel with the phone in "offline" mode.

Everytime I tried to do it, it would download about 11% of the full map and then quit.

The settings I had on or off within XGPS were:

-offline mode was set to off.
-I had the zoom slider set to zero
-and I tried to download it over the 3g network....not WIFI

Does anyone know the correct way of doing this?
Am I trying to download to big of a map?....it was about 2GB

Anyways, hopefully someone can help and if you can, I'm thanking you in advance.

James

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
2 GB over 3G ? Wow!
Just a thought, but why don't you use the xGPS Manager on your computer instead ?
It can then transfer the map to your device over wifi, or you can ssh into your phone to transfer the map file.
Worked fine for me.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I'm not such a wiz on a PC as you are. Using the XGPS manager sounds like a great idea, but how would I transfer the maps to my iphone using wifi?

If you can kindly explain that, I should be able to figure out the rest.

I've never used SSH either. Have no idea how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

2 GB over 3G ? Wow!
Just a thought, but why don't you use the xGPS Manager on your computer instead ?
It can then transfer the map to your device over wifi, or you can ssh into your phone to transfer the map file.
Worked fine for me.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Using the XGPS manager sounds like a great idea, but how would I transfer the maps to my iphone using wifi?
xGPS Manager will show you how... Once the map is downloaded, you click on Send to device.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I tried downloading a map 5 or 6 times and every time it would just seem to freeze or not start downloading at all.

I'm using Windows XP.....anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks,

J

xGPS Manager will show you how... Once the map is downloaded, you click on Send to device.

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
i'm having the same problem on my mac, select the area i want to download no problem. as soon as i hit download the program just freezes!!

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
i'm having the same problem on my mac, select the area i want to download no problem. as soon as i hit download the program just freezes!!
Just leave it running for a while even if it looks like the app froze. If the selected region is large, it takes a bit of time for the download to kick in. It's a Java app! Hit the download button and go have a cuppa.

kenkamm

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I am downloading a map via the xGPS manager now. I selected a map region covering most of MD with only two zoom levels. It is just over 1 GB. It's the slowest download EVER. I checked my Fios connection to make sure nothing was wrong. :) Everything is ok I guess, their web site is just super slow.

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Hi, I know this is an old post but I have a question. I managed to download the maps from the iPhone but the maps aren't the ones from Google Maps, I mean they work but the ones from Maps.app look much better (at least in my country) Is there anyway to download and use the original google maps (the 3 of them) with xGPS? And also, if I get another maps designed especially for my country (Chile) could I use them?
Thanks.

BatkoVladko

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Cannot download a map ia xGPS Manager

Hi All,

I'm also experiencing the problem with xGPS Manager downloading maps.
First I select a region (it contains field like 111 000 km2), then click on "Download the maps". The system is freezing at "Computing maps part to download...." when it reached 100%. And it stuck there more than 12 hours.

Can someone help on this?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.