xGrid, Distributed Computing, Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Dec 31, 2008.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

So I am Running Finalcut and after effects on my macbook, which is great, but as everyon knows , rendering times are still loooooooooooooooong.... so I want to speed things up, I have LOTS of "old" Pc's floating around my basement, most of them pentium M/4 class laptops and some desktops!
    I also have a old powermac at my disposal.

so Does anyone know, if I can put all this computing Power into good use? and help my Finalcut&AE to render faster?? I heard about xGrid and Qtask :eek: but i am not sure How i can set this up( and YES Linux install is no problem, if that helps...)

I also have a 1gbps network at my house, so that should be fine.. :confused:

Hope we can make this work :apple:

2. JeffreyM macrumors newbie

Well, off the top of my head I don't think FCP can do distributed rendering.. I know shake can and I *think* Logic can, but that's it in terms of pro apps.

Previously when I looked into it (Years ago,) my understanding was that linux boxes can be used for distributed rendering only for Shake and that you might need a connection like infiniband to make a distributed render worthwhile (Ethernet's design makes it a poor choice I think...)

All in all.... I think the answer's no :(

I do feel your pain though.

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhhh its like having all those Computing Power just sitting around doing NOTHING its really bugging me :) Ive alread set up one box as a Home Fileserver... the otherone is running a home type intranet-website where you can ceck your doctors appointments(great for my sibling who always forgett everything)

I Saw compressor beign able to render distributed thru Qmaster?

and I know that ethernet is not going to be that fast, but when I need to render 90minutes worth of HD material in FCP i think with 7 Pc's attached, thats going to give me a little boost, so isntead of rendering like 24 hours it might go down to 20 which would be already worth it :D So any performance boost is more than welcome! :apple::apple:+

Happy New year!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It would be possible but not with a macbook unfortunately, and even if you decided to install linux on it then it would still be difficult. i.e. not worth it as JeffreyM said due to the ethernet. However if you had a mac pro and were willing to install linux on it then thats a whole new story, but using linux for video editing. haha

:p