Xiaomi Unveils $360 Mi 6 Phone With Dual-Lens Camera, 'Four-Sided 3D Glass' Casing, No Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Chinese mobile maker Xiaomi unveiled the Mi 6, its latest flagship smartphone, at a packed-out event in Beijing on Wednesday.

The Mi 5's successor features curved "four-sided 3D glass" and a front that isn't bezel-free like the company's Mi MIX, but the phone does boast a lot of tech for a device that starts at 2499 RMB, or $360 - about half of what a base iPhone 7 goes for in China.

[​IMG]

Like the iPhone 7 Plus, the new 5.15-inch Mi 6 includes a 12-megapixel rear dual lens camera combining a wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens. It also matches Apple's latest smartphone with 10x digital zoom, 2x lossless zoom, image stabilization, and depth of field effects.

Similar to the Mi 5s, the Mi 6 features a Qualcomm-based ultrasonic fingerprint reader built under the glass at the bottom of the phone. The "button-less" technology is said to recognize a 3D map of each user's fingerprint through ultrasonic waves, although it only works within the bezel's concave indentation that marks out the home button.

[​IMG]

The Mi 6 includes 2x2 Wi-Fi, which is meant to improve connectivity speed, and does away with the headphone jack, settling for a single USB-C port instead. Elsewhere the handset features the latest Snapdragon 835 processor (also found in the S8), 6GB of RAM, 64GB of storage memory on the entry model, dual stereo speakers, a 3,350mAh battery, a new "night display" screen mode, and water resistance.

[​IMG]

The Mi 6 with 128 GB option costs 2899 RMB ($420) while a special Ceramic edition goes for 2999 RMB ($435). It's unclear at this time whether the phone will become available in Europe or the U.S.

[​IMG]

The announcement of a new flagship phone comes at a particularly important time for Xiaomi, which suffered its first sales slump last year. The company's former VP of Global Efforts Hugo Barra left in February, while CEO Lei Jun recently admitted the firm had grown too fast and was now entering a transitional period, as it focuses on its main markets in China and India.

Article Link: Xiaomi Unveils $360 Mi 6 Phone With Dual-Lens Camera, 'Four-Sided 3D Glass' Casing, No Headphone Jack

2. Sunny1990, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Such a beautiful device at half the price of a iPhone 7 Plus ,looks tempting :)

3. One Bad Duck macrumors member

One Bad Duck

exactly. Without a jump in battery tech - phones will plateau in their capability. They are bound to get cheaper. Apple can only "value add" for so long.

Apple will have to chase the mid segment more

4. 8692574 Suspended

I love my Mi Mix, Xiaomi is really doing some great stuff.... now if they also gave better OS updates....

5. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I think it's safe to say that for a large share of people, it's iOS that is keeping them loyal rather than the hardware. Apple really need to up their game (and IMO needed to a few years back) or more people will start to jump ship.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Apple really must produce a ceramic iPhone at some point.

7. Relentless Power, Apr 19, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Unfortunately it's only available in China and India. If Xiaomi ever made it to the U.S., it would have an impact with the starting price point with what this phone offers in terms of hardware and affordability, but would initially take Some strides to compete again Samsung and Apple.

8. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

If they match Apple's design, features and specs for half the price like this it seriously undercuts people's reasons for paying the Apple premium.

These cheap phones used to be crap, but the game has clearly changed. And if production will be forced to move to the US... How can you compete with that?

9. DiscoMcDisco macrumors regular

DiscoMcDisco

Aren't all cuboids 6 sided if 3D? I'm confused....

10. 0815 macrumors 68000

I wish I could get the iPhone in that blue ... or in any of the iPod touch colors

11. wheelhot macrumors 68020

I love it when people comment about how cheap these phones are and never questioned how they manage to get it so cheap? Ever thought that perhaps they squeeze out their suppliers and a squeeze up supplier means poorer working conditions? Though its okay, because this is Xiaomi we're talking about, lets see Apple do the same thing and you'll see hordes of people with pitch fork saying Apple need to improve working conditions.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    You don't, you just pay more for your phones. And the government probably just tax imported goods higher like how they do in Japan or some Scandinavian countries, though I'm not sure if this can be implemented in the States.

12. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Well the design and production certainly is way cheaper when you can do everything in the same country where the wages are also very low.

iPhones have a very low value in pure parts so there's room to bring down the price. Not for Apple who heavily depends on the income from iPhones, but for Xiaomi in China it is apperantly an other case.

Some corners might be cut though, for sure.

13. adamneer macrumors 6502

If ever I were to jump ship, it would be for that blue and gold model. Absolutely the best looking Android phone I've ever seen.

14. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Apple really is lucky that iOS only runs on their own devices, otherwise ...

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

The materials, aesthetic and specs are impressive. I would pay more for an iPhone having the same, because Apple does maintain higher standards for working conditions, tries to ensure humane sourcing of rare earth materials, and do have programs in place to minimize adverse effects on the environment. We are not paying just for the phone itself, but for better practices. Of course the problem with Apple right now is their design looks stalled out and stale. They're a very huge company now serving an immense international market and can't turn on a dime like companies that are smaller and hungrier and can pop out a metal phone, then a glass, then a ceramic one.

And pretty and speccy isn't that impressive without good service and support standing behind the product. Apple invests a lot in infrastructure to provide that. Samsung is starting to get on the ball, too. I've not heard the best support and service stories about the smaller Chinese companies yet.

16. 8692574 Suspended

Gearbest... without import taxes ;)

17. thisisnotmyname, Apr 19, 2017

thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

No headphone jack so I refuse to buy it. Really, I was totally going to buy one otherwise. I swear. Why are you rolling your eyes at me?

18. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Uh...isn't this exactly what Apple does? When Foxconn installs suicide barriers around their building, it can't be because working conditions are luxurious...

19. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, but to implement all those safeguards at their manufacturing sites requires money and Apple probably had to reduce a cut from their products in order to get the manufacturers to apply those safeguards and to adhere to a stricter guidelines, these things add costs and companies like Xiaomi doesn't need to do the same as Apple as they're not pressured to do so.

Also worth mentioning that Apple (probably Samsung as well) always go for a higher grade electrical components which probably give about 10%-20% better quality but it'll cost a lot more than what's found in Xiaomis.

20. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Are they specs impressive though? It appears to have just copied everything directly from the iPhone 7 and added the ram and CPU needed to run Android to a reasonable level.

The 2x2 wifi seems to be the only unique spec on it.

21. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

No headphone jack? Why? As if a tiny connector like that, that's universal and still a gold standard really takes up so much valuable space.

My god, these companies are stupid...

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Does anyone have a photo of this in real life? I'd like to know what it really looks like not a press shot.

23. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Since I never drop my phone, I would love a ceramic iPhone. It would be impervious to scratches.

24. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

It would seem not. Going jack-less is the new design standard.

Is not that unreasonable actually. Devices with the jack still run fine, use them. They don't put carburetors in autos anymore either.

25. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The way your post dismisses those deaths as merely a cost item is, to me, shocking. :(

Mike