Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese mobile maker Xiaomi unveiled the Mi 6, its latest flagship smartphone, at a packed-out event in Beijing on Wednesday.

The Mi 5's successor features curved "four-sided 3D glass" and a front that isn't bezel-free like the company's Mi MIX, but the phone does boast a lot of tech for a device that starts at 2499 RMB, or $360 - about half of what a base iPhone 7 goes for in China.

WeChat_1492586297.1492588531-800x533.jpeg

Like the iPhone 7 Plus, the new 5.15-inch Mi 6 includes a 12-megapixel rear dual lens camera combining a wide-angle lens and a telephoto lens. It also matches Apple's latest smartphone with 10x digital zoom, 2x lossless zoom, image stabilization, and depth of field effects.

Similar to the Mi 5s, the Mi 6 features a Qualcomm-based ultrasonic fingerprint reader built under the glass at the bottom of the phone. The "button-less" technology is said to recognize a 3D map of each user's fingerprint through ultrasonic waves, although it only works within the bezel's concave indentation that marks out the home button.

mi-6.jpg

The Mi 6 includes 2x2 Wi-Fi, which is meant to improve connectivity speed, and does away with the headphone jack, settling for a single USB-C port instead. Elsewhere the handset features the latest Snapdragon 835 processor (also found in the S8), 6GB of RAM, 64GB of storage memory on the entry model, dual stereo speakers, a 3,350mAh battery, a new "night display" screen mode, and water resistance.

C9waIk4U0AIpxIG-800x400.jpg

The Mi 6 with 128 GB option costs 2899 RMB ($420) while a special Ceramic edition goes for 2999 RMB ($435). It's unclear at this time whether the phone will become available in Europe or the U.S.

Screen-Shot-10-800x436.jpg

The announcement of a new flagship phone comes at a particularly important time for Xiaomi, which suffered its first sales slump last year. The company's former VP of Global Efforts Hugo Barra left in February, while CEO Lei Jun recently admitted the firm had grown too fast and was now entering a transitional period, as it focuses on its main markets in China and India.

Article Link: Xiaomi Unveils $360 Mi 6 Phone With Dual-Lens Camera, 'Four-Sided 3D Glass' Casing, No Headphone Jack

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Unfortunately it's only available in China and India. If Xiaomi ever made it to the U.S., it would have an impact with the starting price point with what this phone offers in terms of hardware and affordability, but would initially take Some strides to compete again Samsung and Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMom
Comment

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I love it when people comment about how cheap these phones are and never questioned how they manage to get it so cheap? Ever thought that perhaps they squeeze out their suppliers and a squeeze up supplier means poorer working conditions? Though its okay, because this is Xiaomi we're talking about, lets see Apple do the same thing and you'll see hordes of people with pitch fork saying Apple need to improve working conditions.
[doublepost=1492600330][/doublepost]
And if production will be forced to move to the US... How can you compete with that?

You don't, you just pay more for your phones. And the government probably just tax imported goods higher like how they do in Japan or some Scandinavian countries, though I'm not sure if this can be implemented in the States.

Reactions: Kengineer
Comment

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I love it when people comment about how cheap these phones are and never questioned how they manage to get it so cheap? Ever thought that perhaps they squeeze out their suppliers and a squeeze up supplier means poorer working conditions? Though its okay, because this is Xiaomi we're talking about, lets see Apple do the same thing and you'll see hordes of people with pitch fork saying Apple need to improve working conditions.
[doublepost=1492600330][/doublepost]

You don't, you just pay more for your phones. And the government probably just tax imported goods higher like how they do in Japan or some Scandinavian countries, though I'm not sure if this can be implemented in the States.

Well the design and production certainly is way cheaper when you can do everything in the same country where the wages are also very low.

iPhones have a very low value in pure parts so there's room to bring down the price. Not for Apple who heavily depends on the income from iPhones, but for Xiaomi in China it is apperantly an other case.

Some corners might be cut though, for sure.

Reactions: wheelhot
Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
The materials, aesthetic and specs are impressive. I would pay more for an iPhone having the same, because Apple does maintain higher standards for working conditions, tries to ensure humane sourcing of rare earth materials, and do have programs in place to minimize adverse effects on the environment. We are not paying just for the phone itself, but for better practices. Of course the problem with Apple right now is their design looks stalled out and stale. They're a very huge company now serving an immense international market and can't turn on a dime like companies that are smaller and hungrier and can pop out a metal phone, then a glass, then a ceramic one.

And pretty and speccy isn't that impressive without good service and support standing behind the product. Apple invests a lot in infrastructure to provide that. Samsung is starting to get on the ball, too. I've not heard the best support and service stories about the smaller Chinese companies yet.

Comment

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Unfortunately it's only available in China and India. If Xiaomi ever made it to the U.S., it would have an impact with the starting price point with what this phone offers in terms of hardware and affordability, but would initially take Some strides to compete again Samsung and Apple.
Gearbest... without import taxes ;)

Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005

Uh...isn't this exactly what Apple does? When Foxconn installs suicide barriers around their building, it can't be because working conditions are luxurious...

Comment

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Uh...isn't this exactly what Apple does? When Foxconn installs suicide barriers around their building, it can't be because working conditions are luxurious...

Yeah, but to implement all those safeguards at their manufacturing sites requires money and Apple probably had to reduce a cut from their products in order to get the manufacturers to apply those safeguards and to adhere to a stricter guidelines, these things add costs and companies like Xiaomi doesn't need to do the same as Apple as they're not pressured to do so.

Also worth mentioning that Apple (probably Samsung as well) always go for a higher grade electrical components which probably give about 10%-20% better quality but it'll cost a lot more than what's found in Xiaomis.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The materials, aesthetic and specs are impressive. I would pay more for an iPhone having the same, because Apple does maintain higher standards for working conditions, tries to ensure humane sourcing of rare earth materials, and do have programs in place to minimize adverse effects on the environment. We are not paying just for the phone itself, but for better practices. Of course the problem with Apple right now is their design looks stalled out and stale. They're a very huge company now serving an immense international market and can't turn on a dime like companies that are smaller and hungrier and can pop out a metal phone, then a glass, then a ceramic one.

And pretty and speccy isn't that impressive without good service and support standing behind the product. Apple invests a lot in infrastructure to provide that. Samsung is starting to get on the ball, too. I've not heard the best support and service stories about the smaller Chinese companies yet.

Are they specs impressive though? It appears to have just copied everything directly from the iPhone 7 and added the ram and CPU needed to run Android to a reasonable level.

The 2x2 wifi seems to be the only unique spec on it.

Comment

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
No headphone jack? Why? As if a tiny connector like that, that's universal and still a gold standard really takes up so much valuable space.

My god, these companies are stupid...

Reactions: GrumpyMom and H2SO4
Comment

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Since I never drop my phone, I would love a ceramic iPhone. It would be impervious to scratches.

Comment

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
No headphone jack? Why? As if a tiny connector like that, that's universal and still a gold standard really takes up so much valuable space.

My god, these companies are stupid...
It would seem not. Going jack-less is the new design standard.

Is not that unreasonable actually. Devices with the jack still run fine, use them. They don't put carburetors in autos anymore either.

Comment

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah, but to implement all those safeguards at their manufacturing sites requires money and Apple probably had to reduce a cut from their products in order to get the manufacturers to apply those safeguards and to adhere to a stricter guidelines, these things add costs and companies like Xiaomi doesn't need to do the same as Apple as they're not pressured to do so.
The way your post dismisses those deaths as merely a cost item is, to me, shocking. :(

Mike

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.