XL Bands?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StPatty33, Mar 9, 2015.

1. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Do we know anything regarding larger bands? From the apple site it looks like the largest they go is 210mm, which is just barely over 8in. I've got much larger wrists and need about 9" (that's what she said). Knowing Apple, the band connector is proprietary and won't fit other, larger universal bands.

Any knowledge on this would be great!

2. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I just measured my wrist at 195mm. They say the Milanese look goes to 200mm so I will be definitely trying on one in the store before buying that option. I need to make sure I will not worry about it pulling off.

At least the link one will fit me easily and may have a link or two removed.

3. cdames00 macrumors member

cdames00

I'm waiting too! I checked my wrist size and would maybe be able to get the 42mm large sport band to fit but it would be tight. Here's hoping for an aftermarket band that'll work better.

4. ricktat macrumors 6502a

5. leenak macrumors 68020

wouldn't it be 210mm + size of watch? Don't forget to take that into account.

6. CodyPennant macrumors newbie

No, not according to the apple store site. It is listing wrist sizes, not the lengths of the bands.

7. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

NATO straps that are 280mm in length are typically what I use. Apple's 210mm max isn't going to cut it.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Oh I was looking at the band sizes on the chart someone showed. That is good to know.

9. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

Not even sure if their bands will fit me. My wrists are large, but not huge...Could they really have missed out on an entire section of the market by not offering larger bands?

I'm thinking there must be an XL option, or something like that. Right?

10. pologreen94 macrumors newbie

Yeah I am sitting about about 220 mm... I was hoping I wasn't the only one with this problem.

11. cdames00 macrumors member

cdames00

I bet those of us "of size" will just have to wait for a third party solution; I'd rather wait and get the right product than be turned off by something that doesn't fit right and lessens the user experience!

12. pologreen94 macrumors newbie

Well,

I just chatted with Apple, and he didn't know if they would offer an XL strap, and asked that I just continue to check back for updates. He also said he believed there was a patent and third party bands would not work. I assume he is told to say that though.

13. CodyPennant macrumors newbie

I'm really surprised Apple didn't at least choose one basic band, like the black sport, and offer only it in an XL size.

14. StPatty33 thread starter macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I guess they don't want any of my money. It's cool.

15. mama2twoboys macrumors newbie

mama2twoboys

ummm ya. my husband is going to need WAY LARGER that 210mm, more like 260+. I'm so worried for him... this is really stressing me out.

16. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I never used a NATO strap but... couldn't you just buy the classic leather band and then rip off the leather? You just need two band holes to run the strap through, right?

[​IMG]

17. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I wonder how many people will eBay their extra links from the link bracelet. I'm guessing those are uniform in size (only the links above it increase in size) and could easily add another 5mm of strap length. I currently have a 210mm wrist but my friend and I are both buying the same 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Link Bracelet. One way or another, I'll get one or two of his "extra" links.

18. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I measured my wrist when I got home and I was 7.75" (about 195-200 mm), so I'll be okay, as they size up to 8.25". Still, cutting it pretty close, and my wrists aren't THAT big.

19. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I had planned to pre-order the Apple Watch, but in the back of my mind I knew I could run into problems with wrist size. Decided to measure them today and have learned that I'll need a 235mm band. Pretty bummed. Hopefully they come out with some bigger sizes, or allow some third party bands.

For the time being I sent Apple a short little email asking them to design some larger straps. Worth a shot

20. CodyPennant macrumors newbie

That's a clever fix. I suppose one could even buy two link bracelets to make one longer one and sell the remaining short bracelet. It's not a tidy fix, but it would work for those who just can't fit any other band.

21. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

Clever, yet costly. That would run you $900.

22. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

This definitely presents a small problem. I know I'm sitting at 220 mm wrist size. That's going to be an awfully tight squeeze.

23. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

I thought it would be tight with the strap size, I'm just over 200mm so I'm a little relieved.

Im sure 3rd parties will come into this arena in no time though...

RTJ

24. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Well there might be hope yet for those of us needing a larger size band...
    http://get-click.com