XL2 to macbook pro-timecodes??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MWPULSE, Mar 23, 2009.

1. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Hi guys, tomorrow i have to do some recording for a tutorial DVD for my final year project about guitar effects processing. Im going to be using a Canon XL2 for the video side of things, and for audio im going to be using a Rode NT2000 and a AKG C414. Noooow my real question is..

I have Protools LE for audio editing, now while its not particularly ideal for video, its brilliant for audio, so im planning to record the audio straight into the computer. The only problem with doing this is i will undoubtably screw up the timing etc and will make a hash of it, making it harder to edit. Im not exactly a video pro, i understand the basics but not everything, can i sync these 2 elements together to make the video and timecode from the XL2 follow protools. Protools has such features as being able to output timecode im just not sure if the XL2 will take the USB cable or whatever it should be..

Thanks Alot
    PTP

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Why make it hard on yourself? Connect the mics to your camcorder and record the audio to tape. Capture both the audio and video via Firewire. If you need to sweeten the audio, export from your NLE to ProTools then bring it back afterward.

-DH

3. MWPULSE thread starter macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

yeaa.. i was thinking of doing it like that, just thought that using protools might well be easier ;-)

Thanks though

PTP