XL2 vs DVX100b

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iCheddar, Jul 3, 2007.

1. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

So I have been considering getting a camera(s) lately.

And I have my mind set on either an XL2, or a DVX100b.

Both have built in XLR ports.
    Both shoot 24p.
    Both have about as much adaptability/settings as one can imagine.

However...used DVXs go for just about $2K on eBay, but XL2s go for $2700-3000. I can't decide whether to get a DVX or an XL2.

I'm really attracted to the XL2, I want to have its babies:p . But I'm worried about how...portable a cam it will be.

I will be mostly filming interviews, theatre/concert performances, so it will be mostly on a tripod. However, there are certain applications where I'll need to be able to bring it with me, into buildings, restaurants, follow people around backstage, etc. Will an XL2 be to cumbersome, too fragile for this? Would I be better off with a hand held DVX?

Also, I'll need to be able to shoot a stage 50-100 feet away, from the control room. Will the DVX's limited 10x zoom be a hindrance, will I need rather, the 20x of the XL2?

In an ideal world, where I had unlimited funds, I'd buy both:rolleyes: , but can only afford one.

Someone convince/sway me one way or another

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Although I don't own or normally shoot with smaller hand-held cameras, I have shot with both of these when freelancing. I'd take ONE DVX-100 over TWO of the XL2s; it's image is that much better.

-DH

3. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I love this debate. Every time. :D

I like the DVX. I rarely need any further zoom, but is the weakness.

XL2 design is cumbersome. As far as the pendulum swings one way for coolness, it swings back into suckiness. :p

The 24p from the DVX is way better. :cool:

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm getting the DVX100b soon, no debate for me.

The DVX is an amazing camcorder. I've seen enough footage to prove it.