XLD, Apple Lossless and iTunes on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NoTechie, Mar 1, 2017.

1. NoTechie macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2017
    Hi all. For comparison purposes, I ripped a CD song with XLD (XLD20161007, downloaded from SourceForge) and iTunes (updated), both set for Apple Lossless. The two files appeared in iTunes. Unfortunately, I was unable to play the XLD version on my Mac (Sierra) with iTunes. Instead of music, I only heard a loud buzzing or humming sound. iTunes was able to play the version of the song that I had ripped with iTunes. Below are my first attempts at using screenshots. Unfortunately, I did not keep the XLD log. Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.13.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 12.11.30 PM.png
  2. mic j macrumors 68030

Mar 15, 2012
    Be interesting to see if you can resolve this. I have an older (2014) version and just used it to rip a bunch of my CD's to ALAC. Worked fine. I will consider updating to the latest version if anyone can help you figure out the problem.
  3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    That is very interesting. Has it done it with any other CD's or just this one?
  4. NoTechie thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2017
    I just used XLD to rip the song again, and this time I used MPEG - 4 ACC. I made no other changes to the XLD preferences. The ripped version appeared in iTunes, but when I tried to play it, I had the same loud buzz or hum sound and no music. The log info is the same as the log I had deleted: in particular,
    AccurateRip Summary (DiscID: 00162474-00aee223-890d030a)
    Track 09 : NG (total 9 submissions)
    ->0 track accurately ripped, 1 track not

All Tracks
    Read error : 0
    Jitter error (maybe fixed) : 0
    Retry sector count : 0
    Damaged sector count : 14262
    Hi Rhett. Thanks for the response. With a new CD, after the XLD test ended got dialogue box "Error: cannot open the input file". Deselected test and ripped again. The song appeared in iTunes, but when I played it, I only heard the buzz/hum sound. Although I failed to mention this issue in my first post, I probably followed the same steps on the original problem CD, because I remember unsuccessfully searching the forums re the "cannot open" issue. Later today, I will delete my current XLD file and download a version of XLD from a different site and see if that makes a difference.