Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HCK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I need to hook up 2 reference speakers that have XLR and 1/4" jacks on the back to my MacPro. Since the MP has a 1/8 jack and Digital out options, would I need to run the digital out to a mixer and then connect the speakers via XLR?

Got any ideas?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
As far as I know, you answered your own question. 1/8 inch out to mixer and in via two mono 1/4 inch cables (I have one of these cable for hooking my 8 track into my Mac, but it will work the other way as well). Then probably 2 1/4 mono outs to XLR....depending on your mixer.

Something like this (but not necessarily Monster, it was just the easiest to find online).

I don't know if there are are mixers that will take in optical audio. I'd imagine there would be, but that they would be more expensive.

HCK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Digital mixers will accept digital audio in. Thanks for the help! I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Or, if you want to make the best use out of your reference speakers, get an audio interface (USB or FireWire, or even a PCI card). Look for one with balanced XLR or TRS (phone plug) line outs. Even the cheaper ones should easily outperform the Mac's built-in line-out, which - let's face it - wasn't designed for high-end audio work.

[Edited to add: Oh, now I see you want to run a digital out to the mixer. I guess that's a little different, and with good DACs in your mixer I guess you should be fine.]

- Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.