Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PPC_Guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
First of all, as a new user, I would like to say hello to all PPC Mac fans.

Strict to the point - in order to get some more juice from my beloved PPC machine I am looking for XLR8 MACh Speed Control 3.4.2 for MacOS X 10.4.11 running on my Powerbook G4 15 Hi-Res, 1,67 GHz. There are few sites with "BUY" button, but non of them works. Could somebody please send me a link to the site, where I can buy or download this software? I have heard that it does amazing things with the performance of old PPC macs.

PS. Sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

Strict to the point - in order to get some more juice from my beloved PPC machine I am looking for XLR8 MACh Speed Control 3.4.2 for MacOS X 10.4.11 running on my Powerbook G4 15 Hi-Res, 1,67 GHz. There are few sites with "BUY" button, but non of them works. Could somebody please send me a link to the site, where I can buy or download this software? I have heard that it does amazing things with the performance of old PPC macs.

Unless someone knows otherwise, I don't think this app will bring a tremendous power increase to your Powerbook - although I believe it can offer minor overclocking, it's not known in PPC circles as a miracle speed boost.
If you want extra performance tweaks check out Onyx or the Secrets Preference Pane and do your research to find the optimal software for your needs - all the best advice is here on this site and there are many ways to extend the useful life of your Powerbook.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Unless someone knows otherwise, I don't think this app will bring a tremendous power increase to your Powerbook - although I believe it can offer minor overclocking, it's not known in PPC circles as a miracle speed boost.
If you want extra performance tweaks check out Onyx or the Secrets Preference Pane and do your research to find the optimal software for your needs - all the best advice is here on this site and there are many ways to extend the useful life of your Powerbook.
I did a cursory Google check on this and a red flag for me is that there were several "How to fully remove MAch Speed Control" links.

That indicates to me that this app puts down some deep roots that may be rather difficult to remove later on. If the app is buggy in any way then getting all of it out is certain to be a headache.

I don't know the app, so I may be wrong but it's been my experience that if you have to Google how to fully remove an app you are already dealing with a problem that the app is causing.

Reactions: CooperBox

PPC_Guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
If you want extra performance tweaks check out Onyx or the Secrets Preference Pane.

I use Onyx regulary, for system cleaning and maintenance purposes. I thought that Secrets PP needs Leopard to work...?

I would love to push my Powerbook to its limit, untill now I have maxed DDR2 RAM, put PATA SSD disc, done some system tweaks, changed thermal compound and since the Dynastar company stop selling their G4 processor tweaks I have been looking for other solution.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

Ask Bunnspecial, I sent my copy to him.

Reactions: 1042686

PPC_Guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Thanks!:) I will! Last question - do you experience any performance gains after installing this software?

PPC_Guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Thanks! One last thing - how long does it take to recognize Processor/Cache/Memory after launching XLR8 MS Control from /Applications/Utilities? It runs for several hours now and nothing changed. Still "No backside cache was detected."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.