xm or sirius internet radio for my macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greendragon, Aug 4, 2007.

1. greendragon macrumors regular

which one is the best option for my mac? thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think the first thing you need to do is look at the lineups and see which you prefer. Either will work, at least according to links I pull up. Are you subscribed to either in your car or elsewhere?

3. greendragon thread starter macrumors regular

this is my first time doing the satellite radio thing... was curious as to mac compatibility and quality.

4. greendragon thread starter macrumors regular

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I've had XM for several years. Works great. Agree, though, that you should look at the line ups before you make your choice. The music and news stations are pretty much the same, but Sirius has Stern, XM has Oprah and Opie and Anthony, etc. And the sports channels are very different.

As for Mac compatibility -- XM just streams audio to your browser, so there is no real "compatibility" issue. It depends more on the quality of your connection to the intertubes. I assume Sirius operates the same way, but I don't know.

The 2 are trying to merge, so who knows we may all end up together anyway, although the merged company might maintain the separate channel line ups or go with the so-called a la carte plans that the FCC wants.

Lots more info here.

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

If you're a baseball fan, it doesn't get any better than XM. They broadcast all MLB games.

Sirius has the NFL, but football doesn't really translate to radio.

7. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Personally I've had Sirius in my car for years, and I love it. I also stream it online, and it's great. They offer a "CD Quality" Stream (128Kbps) which actually sounds better then the tuner in my car :). XM Only offers a 64Kbps Stream. I actually just signed up for a 3 day trial of XM online streaming, because I was curious. I have to say Sirius's stream sounds better, which it should since it's double the bandwidth. I will say however that XM's online player is WAYYYY better then Sirius's. I did however find a solution to the horrible online player for Sirius, at http://www.siriusmac.com. Awesome program. Sirius is a bit more expensive for an online only subscription ($12.95) vs XM's online only subscription for ($7.99), but I would rather pay a bit more for double the bandwidth. So basically it comes down to content, and whether your willing to pay more per month for better sound quality.

Hope this helps

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

The only thing that matters
    XM has MLB
    Sirius has NFL
    Take your pick...

9. Moonlight macrumors 6502

Moonlight

anyone know how to get around flip4mac downloading a few minutes instead of streaming on XM online ?

10. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I have had Sirius for years, love Sirius. Had XM before, and it just didnt do it for me. That however is all subject to personal taste.

As posted above there is a great app called Siriusmac that is a standalone player. No need to stream from the browser. Also, streaming from the browser times out after a while if you dont stay active on the computer. Siriusmac will play until you close it.

11. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

To the OP, I prefer Sirius for all the reasons above. Plus, it just fits for my entertainment needs. If you'll miss baseball, there's always MLB's online radio & tv subscription service as an option.

Thanks for this info!
    No more reloading the page during Foxxhole, yay!