XM satellite radio and device(s)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KingYaba, Jul 25, 2008.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have an unhealthy addiction to radio. It's at the point where I can't function... can't sleep without it playing in the background. Can't drive in my car without it on. I have been thinking about feeding my addiction and purchasing an XM product for some time. Their programming schedule seems put together better than the Sirius counterpart. I'm aware they are merging together.

Anyway, I'm looking for a device that can receive not only the XM satellite broadcast, but also local AM/FM stations as well. I don't know anything in this area so hopefully you guys can help me out. I don't need any fancy color display which costs $100+. Just need a solid, functioning unit. If I can't receive local stations then I'm going to have to figure something out about unplugging the radio in my car.

The other question is, do they bill you monthly or in one lump? Could I choose? I'll pay the $9.99 with the three year contract if it means they bill monthly not in one $360 lump. :p But if they reduce the price even further I might consider it.

One more thing: Are there any reception discrepancies between the devices? I'll buy the ExpressEZ because it's cheap. But if it's a poor performer please let me know.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

XM is great, in my opinion I think you'd be better off with a receiver and a small stereo instead of an all in one unit since the cheap models that are all in one are really cheap and reception is less than stellar (eton made a model, nice but a bit pricey). All of the vehicle models have an FM transmitter so no need to worry about removing the radio, I use the FM transmitter to broadcast throughout my house, the older models (Roady 2 for example) have a more powerful transmitter.

You pay monthly but you won't get the $9.99 a month price because the multi-year subscription is lump pay so you'll pay the $12.95 a month.

3. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Cool. So what receivers, specifically, would you recommend?

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

You can't really go wrong with any of them, of the current lineup if you want a no-frills simple receiver I'd go with the Audiovox Xpress EZ unit, but they all do pretty much the same thing. I'd suggest ordering from the guys at xmfanstore (Kansas City) or myradiostore.com (NYC), they have good deals (much better than brick and mortar stores) and I can say from experience that the service you get from them is top notch.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'd wait a bit on any new equipment since the FCC approved the XM/Sirius merger today. They will more than likely be coming out with new stuff.

6. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I bet the new stuff comes just in time for the Christmas season. I think I'll go with the cheap player and see what rolls around in December.