Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
LOL! No Stern?! Sounds like an APPLE move to me. Well screw this, I'll keep using Orb which streams Sirius channels....including Stern....just fine. What a total letdown...after months of hearing about this app and this is the best crap they could churn out.

TapOut

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Erie, PA
is their a comedy station on XM ? my grandma had it in her car and it was funny as he!! ... how much is premium ?

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I guess you just dont like good entertainment then.

Oh, no. I LOVE good entertainment, actually. But for entertainment to be good, it also has to be intelligent. Howard Stern just blabs on about nothing worth anything. And I'm not conservative at all, its not the foul behavior that bugs me.

I could be considered funny too if I just said controversial things.

Slidemonster

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
What a waste.
No wonder they're going bankrupt.......

No! They are NOT bankrupt. Please get your facts straight before posting.

This is a smart business move.. if you want Stern, you pay for it.
Not everyone subscribes to the Siriux/XM service to only listen to channel 100 or 101.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008

Not everyone subscribes to the Siriux/XM service to only listen to channel 100 or 101.

You are mostly correct. However, it is not a business move from Sirius/XM.

Sirius/XM excludes all channels that they don't have the mobile rights.

Thus, you can't even pay for them as they don't have the mobile rights to them.

Check out the FAQ's

http://www.siriusxm.com/oniphone/in...IRIUSSTAGE&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=APP

Why don't certain channels appear on my iPhone / iPod Touch?
SIRIUS Subscribers visit:
SIRIUS & XM offer all of the channels for which we have mobile performance rights. For that reason, certain channels which may be available on your satellite radio or online radio service may not be available on a mobile device like the iPhone.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore

Only 60% of the customers. :)

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008

What exactly do you think we are doing by subscribing to the service? We are paying for it! It is not a smart business move, pissing off the majority of your customer base is never a smart business move.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Regardless of if you like Stern or not, in my opinion any rational individual has to realize how important he is to the company (right? maybe that's a stretch, but even if you're an O&A guy that isn't caught up in the whole war thing you should be able to see that he has the bigger name recognition - not the better show, not the funnier show, etc that's all subjective)... how could a company that was so heavily invested in one individual as their method of bringing in subs NOT include that in this app?! I have to assume that some people who didn't get sirius xm because of the hardware costs woudl consider getting the iPhone app and just paying for the subsciption - but of those people, a good number (maybe half, maybe more than half, maybe even a 1/3 or less) probably would be interested in stern so why would you cut out potential revenue?

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
No Stern? No deal.

Must be an O&A fan.. Zero...point....zero....

I'm a stern fan, and that's embarassing. There is no war anymore.. it's not like by using stern show catch-phrases and O&A fan is going to switch and all of sudden think they suck and it's not like an O&A fan screaming about hoo hoo and tell 'em fred is going to get a howard fan to switch over or realize stern sucks. They work for the same company, I don't listen to O&A and likely never will but if they can get more listeners to subscribe than the company should benefit from it! If O&A have fans that don't subscribe but would subscribe because they can get sirius xm on their phone, then that's great. I just wish sirius xm made as much of their content available as possible - even if there's a delay and a change in some contracts/rights agreements/whatever.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
It won't be around much longer they are basically bankrupt, subscribers are down, ppl do not want to pay all that money for it. I had two GM vehicles with XM 90 day trials and I never renewed it, also my wife had a Jeep with 1-Year to Sirius and it was horrible.

Personally they paid Howard Stern way too much money and he couldn't save either of them anyway...

Bye Bye Satellite Radio:D

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I love all these people who think Sirius/XM purposefully left off their favorite channels (Howard, NFL/MLB Audio broadcasts). You don't think Sirius wants to include them to increase their listener base?

The answer is very simple, and has been pointed out numerous times. Sirius/XM does not have the LEGAL right to offer these channels under the terms of their contracts with Howard or the NFL or MLB. Music/performance rights, like most copyright use agreements, are highly specific on the MEDIUM through which you may use the rights you are licensing. It appears that when Sirius signed up Howard, Howard did not authorize Sirius to provide his content on mobile phones. The Starplayr and Pocket Radio examples are different as both were essentially simple extensions of the web streaming by THIRD parties. NOT BY SIRIUS.

So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

(And yes, I have professional experience in this setting....)

Resident Guru

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
It won't be around much longer they are basically bankrupt, subscribers are down, ppl do not want to pay all that money for it. I had two GM vehicles with XM 90 day trials and I never renewed it, also my wife had a Jeep with 1-Year to Sirius and it was horrible.

Personally they paid Howard Stern way too much money and he couldn't save either of them anyway...

Bye Bye Satellite Radio:D

Satellite Radio is going nowhere. Regardless of your anecdotal evidence, there are still many many subscribers to Sirius/XM and it will survive.

Stunod7

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
It's unfortunate that Howard isn't on this, for whatever reason. I guess I'll just keep streaming Sirius as I already have and keep enjoying the entertainment I already am.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
..So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

(And yes, I have professional experience in this setting....)

You're right about that, unfortunately. I spoke out unnecessarily and only mentioned contracts towards the end of what I was saying... it's been like this with the online accounts and NFL (with sirius) for a while but I guess the expecation was that the online listening selection would be the same for the iphone... here's hoping they can get it all worked out!

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I seriously don't understand everyone's obsession with Howard Stern. What a waste of a human being.

What a waste of a post...and no one really cares what you think honestly.:rolleyes:

I, for one, am disappointed by what is either a marketing or a legal decision on the part of Sirius to limit Howard on the iPhone App.

Interestingly, I signed up for the free 7 day trial and I can listen to Howard online...why not on the app?

Someone needs to get through to Howard live an bitch about this. I would call myself but I am currently in the Netherlands. He has hyped this app multiple times in the last few months, so he must know something.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I, for one, am disappointed by what is either a marketing or a legal decision on the part of Sirius to limit Howard on the iPhone App.

I am trying to be nice but do you have a reading comprehension problem?:confused:

This is NOT a marketing or legal decision by Sirius!!!!!!!!

When Sirius negotiated the deal with Howard Stern they did not acquire the MOBILE RIGHTS to this programming.

This could have been an oversight as Sirius didn’t anticipate a MOBILE application.

Or this could have a deliberate play by Howard Stern to reserve the MOBILE rights for another carrier.

Philip

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Someone needs to get through to Howard live an bitch about this. I would call myself but I am currently in the Netherlands. He has hyped this app multiple times in the last few months, so he must know something.

Oops! I missed your location.

If English isn't your primary language, I apologize for my reading comprehension comment.

BTW

This app is only available in the US so it wouldn't work in the Netherlands.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
You people thinking sirius is going bankrupt are just myna birds repeating what you hear on fox news.. Do some real research. I have sirius stocks, not a lot, but enough to be interested in on the inner "goings on" of the company. And get this.. sirius is NOT going bankrupt.

Subscriber growth is down a little (no surprises there with the economy) but revenue is up 25% (thats huge!) and the costs are flat. No more costs, just the same.

The issue with serious was that they needed someone to take on their "costs" of putting the satellites in the air. THat is when they were talking about "selling their debts" to the highest bidder.

Sirius' REVENUE is $283 Million.. With the merger and the synergies from XM, its expected to almost double.

how about this quote from forbes mag.

Sirius XM is now the fastest growing subscription company, second only to Comcast in number of subscribers; it's second only to Clear Channel in radio revenues, and will blow past them soon; etc.

still think sirius is going bankrupt???

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
XM App

So disappointed, they expect you to pay extra to use this app if you already have an XM/Sirius subscription. You don't pay extra to listen online, so why for this app?

Ugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.