XM/Sirius Radio what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by tweaks, Dec 12, 2011.

1. tweaks macrumors regular

I am thinking about it and just signed up for the 7 day trial. How do you like it and how many devices can you use with one acct? I have 3 iphones and I would like it on all 3.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I had a Sirius account a few years back. Recently I received an email for 6 months for $25. I signed up and then found out to listen on the internet or iOS devices would cost me $3 more a month. Not sure if that's because I got a discount on the service or not. But with the additional $3 a month service, I can listen on either of my iPhone 4's, my iPod touch, my iPad 2 or my computer.

3. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

The online feed stinks. It is on a 20 min delay and is overpriced for the amount of content that you get.

I miss XM back before the merger.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The delay isn't that long. If I get out of my car it'll take around 5 minutes to get back to where I was listening in my car. You can always talk them down to around $70-80/year. For me that's not over priced considering I listen to Sirius all day at work. Now the app will let you start at the beginning of any show if you start listening in the middle. You have any kind of commercial free unedited music, so much talk radio that there's always something for everyone, every NFL game available on my phone wherever I am, etc. That's not bad for less than $100/year but to each is own.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've been a subscriber since 2003 and still love it for the commercial free music channels.

I use the XM Skydock in both of my cars and when at home, I use the XM app. The new update is excellent. It allows you to start listening to the beginning of a song or show even if the song or show is just ending, you can go back to the beginning. I never listen to terrestrial radio and tried Spotify and Pandora and I hated them. You can use the XM app on any amount of iPhones, I have five.

I once had four radios activated at one time but am down to the two skydocks now due to the prices. Used to cost under $30 for four radios and now it's over $40.

6. Dunbar, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

Dunbar macrumors 6502

I subscribe for the talk channels. Mainly Howard Stern and Jay Thomas but I listen to a few others occasionally and I like Doctor Radio. They have good music channels but I wouldn't pay just for that. I could never get the $80/yr deal by calling so I settled on using the online streaming service of my parents account who live 1700 miles away. I pay about $6 a month for streaming and the premium service to get Stern. I don't know if it would be worth it at full price (I believe January it goes up to $15 a month plus tax.) I don't have satellite installed in my car but streaming on the iPhone works great. Really wish they'd offer podcasts of their talk shows so you could time shift. FYI, the iphone app works well 95% of the time but there are a few persistent annoying quirks (looping audio, inactivity timeout and random log outs.)

BTW, I think you can listen on as many devices as you want but can only listen on one at a time. I just tried to stream on my MBA and iPhone simultaneously and it gave me an error after a few minutes.

7. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I cancelled my sub once Opie and Anthony were on Audible.