Xmarks is discontinuing it's service

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadaBing!!, Sep 28, 2010.

1. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

http://www.xmarks.com/about/shutdown

I already use Chrome Sync for all but bookmarks since I use Xmarks so I can access my bookmarks on my iPhone...

Is there a way to access Chrome Sync bookmarks from an iOS device ??

2. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

R.I.P. Xmarks, now what? [alternatives for bookmarks syncing]

http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1886

...now what?

How to dynamically sync (at least) Firefox and Safari favorites?

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Xmarks is discontinuing it's service

Just got this email from them.

Dear Xmarks User,

We've always said we won't email you unless it's important; this is one of those occasions:

Xmarks will be shutting down our free browser synchronization services on January 10, 2011. For details on how to transition to recommended alternatives, consult this page. http://www.xmarks.com/about/shutdown

For the full story behind the Xmarks shutdown, please read our blog post.

Thank you for being a part of the Xmarks community; we apologize for any inconvenience this step may cause you. We believe we have the best users in the world, and we hope your bookmarks find a new and happy home soon.

Asynchronously,

— The Xmarks Team

4. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

No... no... noooooooo! I love Xmarks, it has been absolutely flawless cross-platform, cross-browser, etc. This really sucks.

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm bummed! :( I regularly use both Firefox and Chrome on 6 computers, so it's important to me to have all my 600 or so bookmarks synchronized. Hopefully someone comes out with a replacement.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Saw this the other day... sucks. :(

It's not like there's another able alternative out there either.

7. juliainor macrumors member

I use Delicious because I need access to my bookmarks on all of my machines, including work, where I can't install anything - so the web access is a necessity.

I use Delibar - which I really like - on my Mac, so my bookmarks are always available regardless of which browser I'm using.

I'm not a big fan of Delicious on the web, but it serves my purposes.

8. mikerr macrumors regular

..but they won't even try?

Personally I'd pay a $10/year for it...

9. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I’m with you, mikerr, as apparently are several other users, if you scan the 3,400+ comments on their blog post announcing the shut down. My hope is that they’ll rethink the free model and consider a paid one between now and January when the plug gets kicked out of the wall.

I can’t fathom what my computing life will be like if I can’t sync bookmarks across not only multiple browsers but multiple computers (as someone who travels heavily for work). :(

10. TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

Need Alternative with Multiple Browsers and Multiple Macs

I will miss Xmarks tremendously. I have multiple Macs both laptops and desktops for my personal use. Xmarks was the only bookmarks sync program that could do both for free.

I think Bookmarksync is the only other alternative. But, I believe it is a pay for service. Does anybody use Bookmarksync?

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Been using Xmarks for years to sync my home Mac, (HT)PC, and work PC with Chrome, FireFox, Safari and IE. How I'm I going to do this now?:confused:

12. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I’m with TheStork—would love to hear whether or not anyone’s tried BookmarkSync and has first hand experience to share...?

13. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Just tried it and it gets a big thumbs down. It will only synchronize Safari and Internet Explorer bookmarks, neither of which I use. :mad:

14. danny_w macrumors 601

Nooooo! I just read the news today and am bummed. I signed their pledge to pay $10-$20/year for the service, but there are nowhere near enough pledges so far. I regularly use both Safari and Firefox on both Mac and PC platforms (and sometimes Linux), and Xmarks has been invaluable to me. I guess if the paid subscription pledge doesn't work I will have to go back to using only Safari, but that is very limiting and I have never thought that Safari was good enough to work as my only browser. I do have MobileMe so if I went back to Safari only I would be set for synchronizing.

15. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

What pledge? Where? My guess is if more people knew about that, the chances of hitting whatever goal they have might increase. Please share the link...?

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I got the message page when I tried to log onto xmarks this morning and can't find the same page, but here is another one that taalks about the pledge. You can also just do a google search for "xmarks pledge",

http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1886

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It is as shame to see Xmarks go. They were pretty useful for me the last couple of years. Nowadays I use MobileMe for syncing my bookmarks. When I had a PC I used Xmarks a lot.
    Chrome has also its own bookmark sync, Firefox 4 is getting one, Opera has one and IE 9 is the only one that doesn't have one (as far as I know), so I guess it didnt't make enough sense from a business perspective to continue Xmarks. Of course Xmarks provided bookmark sync across many browsers and I can see that people will certainly miss it. Too bad they couldn't find a viable business model.

18. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I signed the pledge, too. Unfortunately, I only found out about XMarks because they were shutting down...I could've used this program for years as I love Firefox on my Macs, but want my iPhone/iPad to be kept up to date on bookmarks, too.

19. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I pledged. Come on guys, let's keep them alive!