Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
epepper9 said:
-Windows, a GUI concept created by apple(supposedly). You have windows in all your applications.
-Vista's version of dashboard
-The name, xbox 360, which was created after the name "nintendo revolution" 360 degrees=a revolution

Ok, you are wrong on all accounts. First off, Windows, the OS, was not a gui concept created by Apple. Secondly, your "Vista's version of dashboard" is completely erroneous, if by your statement you imply that Apple created Dashboard. The widget idea for dashboard was taken from the company Konfabulator, and Apple incorporated it into their OS. The widgets were actually around in the late '90's, and were made by a few guys at Sun Microsystems using javascript. Thus, Dashboard, and the widgets we now see weren't at first created by Apple for Macs. Lastly, the Xbox 360 was not named 360 b/c it was stolen to mean revolution from Nintendo. It was done as a marketing ploy so it wouldn't be "Xbox 2" while Sony will have a competing "Playstation 3" b/c the higher number would put into the minds of a consumer that it is somehow better/newer. I love your attempts to villify M$ though...not to say it isn't warranted, your examples just aren't accurate...

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
It's as simple as this: Apple Gift Cards! Seriously, I'm asking for these this year. Not only will I get what I love, but I also get to use the cards towards my ACD 23". :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
alexstein said:
Dyson Vacuum Cleaner

Love my Dyson Animal! Can't believe that I resisted for so long!

prostuff1 said:
I say new stereo in the car so you can hook that new shinny nano up to it.

That is what i am going to be asking for for Xmas

My thoughts exactly! An head unit and iPod adapter that would go well with their nano!

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
While somewhat boring, an extra stick of RAM somewhere is sure to speed things up a bit and is definitely among the more functional of the ideas thrown out so far.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Veritas&Equitas said:
Secondly, your "Vista's version of dashboard" is completely erroneous, if by your statement you imply that Apple created Dashboard. The widget idea for dashboard was taken from the company Konfabulator, and Apple incorporated it into their OS. The widgets were actually around in the late '90's, and were made by a few guys at Sun Microsystems using javascript. Thus, Dashboard, and the widgets we now see weren't at first created by Apple for Macs.

No, but Apple thought of the idea before Konfabulator ever came out, and arguably, they were around on what has become OS X well before OS X was released.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Either way, Apple is dominating with Widgets today as an end result. While it's debatable whether it's an original idea or not, the fact remains that Apple has the best implementation of the idea so far and so is far ahead. Konfabulator came close but lost out in the end because Apple could leverage its power and ship Dashboard with all of its systems, and because Apple made it easier for users to write programs.

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
Get a music instrument...

This way you'll get better at something and get girls (instead of wasting time playing 360 or Psp).

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
pionata said:

This way you'll get better at something and get girls (instead of wasting time playing 360 or Psp).
The part about getting girls, not true. At least for me.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
pionata said:

What musical instrument can you get under $500 besides a recorder? :rolleyes:

Maybe a flute. But that doesn't do much for your image. My Yamaha Stage Custom cost me $1500 CAD. Now there's a cool instrument... It's served me for many years. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.