XML File with Excel Mac or Other WYSIWYG

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by EddieMacs, May 12, 2014.

1. EddieMacs macrumors newbie

So I have M$ Office 2011 for mac and I'm trying to use it for managing some XML files that are product lists. I have read quite a few tutorials on how to use Excel to import/export XML files and I can't seem to get it to work on my Air.

First off the menu items listed in the tuts I've read simply don't exist or can't be used in the ways mentioned.

I worked backwards and built a basic XML for testing since I couldn't get anything to export and I can't even open the file with Excel. Shoots me an error saying "can only display this file as plain text" and then proceeds to open M$ Word to view the file.

I would really prefer to use Excel BUT I am very open to any XML editor that would work for my purposes. Yes I know about Oxygen and some of the others but I don't need an advanced editor. I need a WYSIWYG that will display a simple grid for my XML lists.

I did get one free one to work which is Serna. While this is just fine if you have a simple list trying to use this for hundreds if not thousands of entries simply is not going to work.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've spent days on this and really need something. I don't mind if it is something I have to buy so long as it is not outrageous, is simple, and meets my needs.

EDIT: Oh and I really don't want any Java based program, which many of the ones I have come across seem to be built with. Thanks again!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Things I've used in the past include: Dashcode (part of Xcode), PlistEdit Pro, and BBEdit. Of those, PlistEdit Pro maybe what you're looking for, but it's support of non-property list XML files isn't the best.

3. EddieMacs thread starter macrumors newbie

Intell, have you ever tried Xopus? I loaded that up on a web server and while I can get it to view the files I can only get a plain text no line-break view.

Also how about OpenOffice? I can't find any good tutorials but have read you can use the filter building feature to send XML files through.

I guess the only other thing I forgot to mention is it would be nice if the solution was not platform dependent. This because I need someone on a windows machine to be able to work with these lists as well.

What a pain in the arse huh? Never thought it would be this difficult to put my hands on a simple piece of software to manage these lists.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell