Xoom "hold me over" strategy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mieloohoob, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mieloohoob macrumors newbie

Problem: I have no tablet at all. The iPad2 delivery isn't promised for a month or so.

Possible solution: Buy a Xoom from Amazon; live with it for less than 30 days; then return it to Amazon within their generous 30 day return period shortly before the iPad arrives.

Ways this could go wrong: I damage the thing and can't return it; I am misreading the generous return policy; I get mocked for using a Xoom.

Thoughts?

2. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Live without a tablet for 30 days like you did for (x) amount of years.

3. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I'll trade you my iPad 2 for xoom, win win lol
    I'm planning on returning my iPad for xoom anyway.

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

+1.

Amazon is one company I don't like abusing... Always done me right.

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

My Xoom couldn't even hold me over for 48 hours. Gave it back with no regrets. I just can't think of one thing it did better than my iPad 1.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'd be worried about damaging it.

7. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

But it has 1gb of ram and will do flash one day...

8. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Having the Xoom for a couple weeks will make you appreciate your iPad 2 that much more when it arrives :D

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Flash=WINNING

10. Eallan macrumors 6502

That is quite a bit of an exaggeration. For one, the web browser is no comparison, the Xoom obliterates the first iPad. The cameras are pretty good, better than the iPad 2. The form factor is unique, it has a gyro and tons more memory. Plus, it's got a barometer!!! ;)

They're both good devices.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1
    Amazon is just about the nicest company in existence.

12. No1up macrumors regular

You might fall in love with it ;)

The xoom is a fine tablet, I think with in a few more updates it would be a really nice OS.

13. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Amazon.com isn't a rental company. Don't commit fraud.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't do that to Amazon. If you don't intend to keep it, don't buy it. I have until Monday to return mine but decided to keep it. I am an Amazon Prime member, and for $79 a year not only do I get free 2 day shipping on a lot of stuff, now I can use my Xoom to view thousands of movies and TV shows free (included in the Prime membership). Today I installed Adobe Flash player and watched some Farscape on my Xoom. That all you can eat deal is sweet, but only if your device supports flash... ;)

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

#4 ... continue using what you started this thread with and wait until iPad2 arrives :cool:

16. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

How is that fraud? I love Amazon but its not fraud to buy something and then return it....you imply something illegal...

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do hope that Amazon makes an app for instant video soon.
    I'd become a prime member ASAP, even though I'm a student and already get free shipping.

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I keep hearing about how great the web browser is. I hated it. Tap to zoom is awful, and it kept bringing me to mobile websites. It took me about a half a day to find myself reaching for my iPad to do any browsing.

The cameras might be better on paper but I find video chatting via FaceTime to be a far better experience than google talk on the Xoom.

The Xoom form factor is poor if you like using your device in portrait mode.

Congrats on the barometer. I don't need it on the iPad because I got access to more weather apps than you have total apps.

19. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Returns are there for customers to feel assured that if they don't like a product, they will be covered by a refund. They are not there as a free rental, and using them in that way would be a dictionary example of fraud.
    I think that it would fall under wrongful rather than criminal deception.

20. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

Exactly.

21. Eallan macrumors 6502

To be fair, the mobile website is the website's fault. The rear camera on the iPad 2 is absolute pile of crap. I'd just as soon not have one. I find it unreal there is this poor of a camera in my $729 tablet.

I kind of agree on the form factor. The barometer is quite weird.

22. tazdevl macrumors member

Answer Don't be a douchebag. You don't need it, can wait for the iPad 2 and should not abuse a company's customer service policy. What if you're the customer that pushes Amazon over the tipping point and causes them to change the return policy due to abuse?

Show some maturity and be patient.