Xoom price vs ipad 2 price - fair comparison

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mechinyun, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Look I want an Ipad 2, but lets get it straight for all the "haterz" out there.

Motorola is also an American company, competition is good.. it's what will make the next IPAD better if the Xoom succeeds.

So just a FYI to those who always compare the 499 IPAD to the 799 XOOM.

That's like the Fox News of comparisons.

So here is the fact.

IPAD - 32GB - VERIZON = $729

XOOM - 32GB - VERIZON =$799

Really not that big of a difference.

2. blueroom, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Plus no lineups for a Xoom. ;)

3. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

The Xoom is a great product. It probably has a better camera.

Two things you need to consider.

Honeycomb is their first version of the Android OS for tablet PC's.

There are a ton of apps for the iPad, and not many for Honeycomb.

For now Apple is ahead, but maybe next year Android will catch up or be ahead.:rolleyes:

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the comparison was always based on Base Models (the iPad starts at $499 and the XOOM started at $799, a $300 difference in the eye of a regular, none tech consumer), not on the actual specs.

But now with the XOOM WiFi model, the base model now starts at $599, but the base model for the iPad still starts at $499. The price alone will always draw more people in (regardless of what product or company).

Costco has a Sony Blu-Ray player for $149, but Best Buy has an Insignia Brand Blu-Ray player for $129,

Guess which one I am more likely to buy (based on price and not specs).

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Yea since I wanted a data plan, the Xoom was cheaper at $599.

6. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how long the tablet trend will last, but if it continues, I think Apple will ALWAYS be ahead. The iPad is synonymous with tablet for the majority of consumers. If your mother or grandmother decide to go buy one of those "tablet thingy's," they're going to buy an iPad. Not only is the marketing there with the catchy commercials, but word-of-mouth is helping to bring awareness of the iPad to the general public. My grandparents have coffee at McDonald's every morning with some of their elderly friends. Let's say, hypothetically, that they begin a conversation about tablets...I can guarandamntee that they will never bring up the Xoom. But you can bet your ass that the iPad will be what they talk about. The iPad got to the market first, and they got to the market the BEST as far as I am concerned. They not only got their product out there, but they got a great product out there. It will take something major and something truly revolutionary to topple the iPad's reign. I know a little about psychology, and Apple does too. They own the potential consumer's mind when it comes to buying a tablet.

7. mgchan macrumors member

Yeah good luck convincing anyone that Kia is better than a Mercedes because Kia has a cheaper model.

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Not a relevant comparison. Mercedes= class and high end. I think it's fair to say Apple products are equated to the same thing, except the iPad is cheaper than the competition. With this, I think the analogy of trying to convince someone that the cheaper Mercedes is better than the more expensive Kia would fit better.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say pricing on these devices was irrelevant when making a purchase decision. Its just that, in the big scheme of things, its not that big a factor.

If you are in the market for a new vehicle, you decide whether you need a $20,000 pickup truck, or you need an $18,000 sedan. If you've gotta have the cargo carrying capability of the pickup - the two thousand dollar "savings" you get from the sedan isn't really significant.

And its that way with the iPad vs. Xoom. If you decide you've simply gotta have the ability to run Flash websites, or play around with the file system - your choice is made for you. If you want to have access to many thousands of cutting-edge Apps - then your choice is equally clear.

As far as camera quality is concerned: I'd say that anyone who made their choice based on THAT particular criteria was making a pretty big mistake. Anyone who is planning on using a tablet for regular still or video photography is going to be disappointed. You simply aren't going to get very good results with a lens the size of a grain of rice, with limited (or no) control over the aperture or exposure, with little or no flash, etc. The cameras are provided to enable webchatting and the odd snapshot, NOT for serious image making. The Xoom's cameras are, by most accounts, superior to those on the iPad. But even at the best of times, the results you get with the Xoom camera will be surpassed by even the most basic "point n shoot" handheld digital camera.

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 64gb verizon = $ 829 ( plus over 400,000 apps, 65,000 iPad specific)

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Which one sells more?

12. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Base models: ipad 1, 399, ipad 2 16gb 499, xoom 599 (wifi only that has not launched yet)

13. ravenas macrumors regular

That's not the fair comparison here. If one is getting the Verizon Xoom then they'll commit to the data contract and get it for $599. The Verizon iPad is not subsidized so winds up to be more expensive.

The truer comparison is the Xoom WiFi:

XOOM - 32GB = $599
    iPAD - 32GB = $599

That'll be a horse race since they are priced the same but each has a slight advantage. For the iPad it is access to the App Store and iTunes ecosystem. For Xoom it is the superior hardware.

If you consider most consumers won't be upgrading for another 2-3 years, then the hardware advantage plays a much larger role. Software can be easily upgraded. Hardware on a mobile device requires a new purchase.

Factor in Apple's stock shortages and poor handling of store demand and there's an open window for Android tablets. Same as when Apple limited itself to the iPhone only on AT&T. They tied one hand behind their back and ceded the field to Android.

For me the longer I go without an iPad2 (still on backorder) the more interested I become in Xoom and similar Android competitors.

14. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Now in the us it seems that merc and bmw are both real high-end cars but in europe they are acrually pretty common. I mean almost every one could buy a merc it they really wanted.

And just to compare merc to kia i searched a picture that would fit in here quite nicely:D[​IMG]

15. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

The problem with comparing Apple pricing with other companies is that Apple doesn't like to devalue their products to spur sales in general. The like to keep price points stable throughout the life of the product and perhaps throw a discount at the consumer after it is EOL'd, like they did with the iPad1 by dropping them $100 after they announced the iPad2. Also Apple's products seems to have insane resale, some of it directly related to this price stability and some probably due to higher perceived value and quality along with a strong dose of brand association. The only exception to this has been the iPhone in the first year with the price drop that caused a bit of uproar but pretty much any product Apple sells it keeps the price the same as it was on day one as it is on day 300 etc. Now as to the raw numbers:

What is that iPad going to cost 9 months from now right before Christmas? Probably $729.

What is the Xoom going to cost in 9 months? Factor in a slew of Android competitors trying to reach Apple's $500 entry point.

If Moto has to drop their price and/or is no longer the darling of the Android community what are you going to get out of that Xoom? $300-$400? Maybe if your lucky. This time next year smart people will probably be able to sell their $729 iPad for $550-$600 if they time it right. Apple at least buys you some stability and a modicum of predicability. Apple isn't really directly competing with any Android device in particular, being the only iOS device insulates them. Moto most definitely is competing with every other Android hardware maker out there and will feel pricing pressures much more than Apple will, especially because they are perceived as more expensive than an iPad.