Xoom update system much better than ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shen, Feb 25, 2011.

1. shen macrumors 6502

Seriously, Apple needs to take a hint from Moto on this. The update process is slick.

Just sayin'

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What? Sending them your device is "slick" for upgrades? Come on. :rolleyes:

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Well, they are updating to a 4G device...although they do advertise 4G connectivity in the first place.

Kind of strange that they have to install new hardware though, it seems they could have put the 3g/4g chip in from the start...Or maybe this is just to keep costs down as not everyone will send it in.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean sending it away for a week, is slick? Wow why would apple want to drop the OTA updates and start collecting everyone's iPads to update them.

Sorry, I'm not seeing how this is better then apple's approach.

5. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

You don't and won't have that option with the current iPad or the next one. Not while Steve is still around.:rolleyes: 6 days is worth it.

6. BrennerM macrumors regular

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Not really.

The "update" requires that you return the Xoom to the manufacturer for about a week for them to install the components to allow it to take advantage of LTE connectivity.

Lets be very clear about this: The LTE update is ONLY being promised because Motorola found itself in a difficult position. Either they delayed release of the Xoom till sometime this summer (at which point Apple would have presumably released iPad V2, and sold another 10 million or so iPads) - or they release a "stop gap" version now - that will require an expensive (for them) and inconvenient (for customers) refit once the LTE hardware becomes available.

Motorola presumably felt that their "window of opportunity" to get into the Tablet business was closing rapidly. But I doubt, sincerely, that Motorola - or any hardware manufacturer - will make a general policy of releasing hardware knowing (and promising) free future hardware updates.

Jus' sayin'

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wouldn't want to be without my device for 6 days just for 4g.

It has nothing to do with Steve, almost anyone in business will tell you that the sheer logistics of shipping, serving the device, and shipping it back is a financial black hole. Just bad business really.

9. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

10. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

What did you do before you had it. I guess you would have a nervous breakdown without a cellphone for 2 days.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Note that this is the only upgrade people are going to get.

4G...woo hoo?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't even have an ipad or a smartphone. Just a crap samsung and an ipod touch.

I'm saving for my ipad, probably will buy in september.

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

It's too bad the xoom is priced at 800 bucks. It's actually a nice device, the price won't even keep it in the same ballpark as the original iPad, let alone the iPad 2

14. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

6 days is worth being able to connect to "4G" in 11 cities that's barely faster than HSPA+? I'll wait a year for Apple integration and anyone to bother to expand LTE to more than just major markets. Then it's worth paying the 4G tax for "extra" data.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most Apple products other than the iPad aren't in the same ballpark as competing devices, but that never stopped Apple from selling fewer at higher prices. People will pay for perceived quality, features and just plain coolness.

Seems that Motorola is trying the same thing with their tablet.

That said, I'm hoping that Moto repeats that $200 off coupon :)

As for the LTE update, I'll take a free 4G upgrade. Figure the odds on Apple doing that for an iPad.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Since this is the internet I can't tell if you are serious or not?

17. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

And the mandatory Verizon data activation and no sight of a WiFi only Xoom. What the hell is up with that? Stupid. The marketing campaign is awesome but the devil is in the details. $600 on contract is absurd. $800 off contract but with mandatory 1 mo data is laughable.

18. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

and all the delivery problems. thats very very s(l)ick

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You must've missed the news from yesterday:

Verizon changed their mind and decided NOT to require a data activation for the Xoom.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Quite frankly, anyone who buys a Xoom at this point is either delusional or a rabid Apple-hater.

Why else would anyone pay an extra $100-$300 to buy a device for which there simply isn't much software? From a company whose track-record as a hardware manufacturer is, at best, spotty? Maybe these people think the Tron-themed Android interface is coolest thing ever. Then again, maybe people who think Tron is a worthwhile contribution to the cinematic arts.....

The Xoom does one thing particularly well: It displays widescreen movies. (Of course, the way it handles the sound for those movies is pretty poor..) But I don't need to spend $800 to watch Hi-Def movies on a 10" screen. If I'm going to spend that sort of coin, I'll buy a 46" flatscreen TV and do it in comfort, thank you very much.

The Xoom is being sold on a bunch of promises: Sure, it'll support Flash someday. It'll support LTE someday. And there will be thousands of Tablet-optimized Android Apps available someday.

Someday may indeed come. But that's not very compelling reason to go and spend your hard-earned money today.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is very much what the iPad was sold on when it first released. Except without the Flash and LTE.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Everything else aside, For me, the 'It's all about the apps' thing means nothing to me.
    I use the stock apps(Safari, YouTube, iPod & Mail) 99% of the time. Third-party apps are cool, but are in no way as essential on a tablet, as they are on a phone, IMO.
    I'm not saying I'd buy a Xoom though. :D

23. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Bring up points is one thing but don't bring up the app part, iPad didn't have a ton of optimized apps right away. It's a first device, geez. You sound more like an Android hater and that's okay but give it time.

Plus I got a no contract, out the door 3G for $651.94 from Moto. And plenty did. And waiting on the wifi isn't any different than the 3G iPad which came a few weeks later.

Both are good devices, say it -- I know you can :p

24. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Fortunately I live in one of those major cities so it's good for me.;):cool:

25. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Where have you been this has been changed and their is no mandatory 1 month data for WiFi.:rolleyes: